Stocking plan and what to feed them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ijaco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I got a new 60 gallon, and I'm still cycling it, but it's almost ready to stock. I made a stocking plan, and was just wondering if it would be too crowded or if any wouldn't get along. I've been using aqadvisor, and it is saying everything would be fine. The plant is lightly planted with some amazon swords, java ferns, and anubias and there are a couple ornaments.
6 cory cats
7 neon tetra
3 dwarf gourami
6 guppies
6 platys
4 mollies
6 cherry barb
5 cherry shrimp
Also I was wondering what food I should get and how much/how to feed them. Thanks!

Almost any food is good, I think, as long as it is flake and omnivore stuff. However, you are at the bare minimum for cories, and if one dies, then you're in trouble. Also, the cherries might get eaten by the other fish (specifically the gouramis) and the tetras are like to be bullied by basically everyone but the shrimp, which they will eat. Finally, you have six different schooling fish species (cories, tetras, guppies, platys, mollies, barbs). You might want to pick one or two (maybe the cories and one other) and get a fairly large number of the two you pick.

The shrimp would need a patch of Java Moss to hide in, something dense or they'll be lunch.
Watch the Mollies. You have plenty of room, which should help, but I consider mollies semi-aggressive esp around food.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks,
I guess I won't get the shrimp, maybe a couple snails instead? Good to know about the mollies, I might just switch them out for a couple more cories. If I didn't get either mollies or platies, and instead got like 13 tetras, would they still get picked on?

I feed similarly sized fish New Life spectrum Thera A .5mm pellets. Even the shrimp can eat them. The higher quality foods lead to a less messy tank IMO.

Quantity ... As much as they'll eat quickly. I have a teensy scoop from a betta "dial a treat" thing, it holds like 2 drops of water. I feed them 2 scoops twice a day.

For bottom feeders I toss in an Omega One algae wafer every day or two, in a place where I can see if they get eaten. They are messy, but the tetras like them too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Most bottom feeders are not algae eaters. Corys don't have barbels for eating algae - they are for finding worms and inverts to eat. The fact that they will eat an algae wafer doesn't mean that that's what they should be eating. Too, most algae wafers have more wheat and soy in them than algae - a high quality staple food like new life spectrum will provide a better source of plant matter than all but the best of algae/vegetarian foods. Omega one is a good brand though.

Almost any food is good, I think, as long as it is flake and omnivore stuff. .

Almost any food is NOT good. Most foods are garbage. You can tell the quality of food by looking at the ingredient list.

Back
Top Bottom