Stocking Question for my 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cableguy9872

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the website http://www.aqadvisor.com/ (found it in another link here) and used the 25gallon tank setup for community fish. I personally think it is to many fish to but then again I don't know how big all of these fish get. I won't be adding any more than what I have now for I added a few neons and they have all died, probably because i created a mini cycle i believe(or my tank wasn't done cycling, it was 6 weeks since i started the cycle with fisH) The list it came up with for me was as follows:

9 Panda Cory
6 Harlequin Rasbora
3 oto
2 German Blue ram
2 zebra danio(i cycled my tank with these guys)
2 Black skirt tetra(cycled with them as well)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
and 1 African Dwarf Frog.

Total # of fish is 26.
I have the Marineland Eclipse 3 filter along with a UGF in my tank. My tank is kept at around 78.5 degrees and will move with in .5 degree either dircetion(haven't seen it go more than that.) I know zebra danio and Black skirt tetras should be kept in a group, but they seem to be fine in my tank with just the 2, they swim around with each other and thats about it.

Is this to much of a stocking load for my tank/filters? What do you guys recommend? i was under the impression of 1inch of fish per gallon of water, I know some of these fish get over 2 inches and the pleco atleast 4.

I went to the website http://www.aqadvisor.com/ (found it in another link here) and used the 25gallon tank setup for community fish. I personally think it is to many fish to but then again I don't know how big all of these fish get. I won't be adding any more than what I have now for I added a few neons and they have all died, probably because i created a mini cycle i believe(or my tank wasn't done cycling, it was 6 weeks since i started the cycle with fisH) The list it came up with for me was as follows:

9 Panda Cory
6 Harlequin Rasbora
3 oto
2 German Blue ram
2 zebra danio(i cycled my tank with these guys)
2 Black skirt tetra(cycled with them as well)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
and 1 African Dwarf Frog.

Total # of fish is 26.
I have the Marineland Eclipse 3 filter along with a UGF in my tank. My tank is kept at around 78.5 degrees and will move with in .5 degree either dircetion(haven't seen it go more than that.) I know zebra danio and Black skirt tetras should be kept in a group, but they seem to be fine in my tank with just the 2, they swim around with each other and thats about it.

Is this to much of a stocking load for my tank/filters? What do you guys recommend? i was under the impression of 1inch of fish per gallon of water, I know some of these fish get over 2 inches and the pleco atleast 4.

Inch per gallon rule really shouldn't be used as it quickly breaks down in most cases.

What is the footprint of your tank, is it 24x12 or 30x12? If it is 24x12, you are overstocked by a good deal. If it is 30x12, it would still be slightly over stocked but manageable.

Also, you have two species that like to be in shoals - Danios and Black Skirts. I would drop one of the two, and boost the other one to around 6 or more.

Is your tank completely cycled? You should wait until it is completely done before adding the next group as you mentioned already. Also, neons are often not easy to introduce due to the methods used to capture them. Once they survive couple of months in your tank, they are usually hardy but I also found that I loose more than 50% of them early.

Back
Top Bottom