Stocking Qustion-Fish that require current.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumBot3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently cycling a 55 gal long tank and daydreaming about fish and looking up pretty much any species of animal that live in water. I remembered I have a pump laying around from an abandoned project and realized I could actually use it to create current for fish that require them. I really want a few loaches and they do require current.

My question is, what about fish that don't need current, can they live in an aquarium with current? Can an angelfish survive (for example)? Tetras (for example)? Or do I need to stick with fish that specifically require current and leave all other fish out?

I don't see anything anywhere in my research that says if fish that normally dont require current can live in current.

Thanks!

*update* It should read "Stocking Question"

Last edited:
What type of loach do you want? Really the only loach that needs current are hillstream loaches.

Current works best with cold water or native fish. I suppose some tetras and if is is not too strong glass cats.

How much current are we talking?

My experience, which is short-lived thus far:

I have under gravel jets in my 90g. There are 6 jets pushing up 100-130gph each around the tank.
Our return from our sump is also pretty powerful, there is a very obvious current in the back of the tank that we buffer with plants

We keep both angelfish and tetras and have no issues with stress. The Angel easily finds calm areas to hang out and generally seems unhurried and is not working hard. The rasboras play in the current all day.

We also have tons of cories including some dwarf cories. They putz around right near the jets with no issues. It's funny if they stick their butts in and have to scurry back out.

I am currently cycling a 55 gal long tank and daydreaming about fish and looking up pretty much any species of animal that live in water. I remembered I have a pump laying around from an abandoned project and realized I could actually use it to create current for fish that require them. I really want a few loaches and they do require current.

My question is, what about fish that don't need current, can they live in an aquarium with current? Can an angelfish survive (for example)? Tetras (for example)? Or do I need to stick with fish that specifically require current and leave all other fish out?

I don't see anything anywhere in my research that says if fish that normally dont require current can live in current.

Thanks!

*update* It should read "Stocking Question"

I just had a look and the larger canister is meant to be max. 2700l/hr (say 675g/hr - sounds better in litres lol). There is also a smaller canister and internal but the larger canister output is all one direction and I'd almost say it is too much for neon tetras. The larger fish all seem fine.

What type of loach do you want? Really the only loach that needs current are hillstream loaches.

These are really beautiful but they say they also require current. They are Angelicus Botia Loaches
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Angelicus Botia Loach

These say they dont need current specifically but water movement, the Tiger Pleco
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Tiger Pleco (L-02)

As for the amount of current. I am not particularly sure, I would have a look but I'm at work. I know I would have to research the proper placement and the proper rate of flow for the aquarium but I would rather fiddle with that stuff now then when I have the fish.

Thanks for the replies!

Just about all loaches will prefer current. Danios or barbs work well with loaches and current. Many other fish will do fine, but I would avoid putting an angel fish in that type of environment. Not only because of the current, but also the activity level of the loaches.

Back
Top Bottom