Stocking suggestions for 40 gallon breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!

I've currently got a 40g breeder with 5 mollies in it 2 males and 3 females. I was wondering what else I can put in the tank and the quantities.

I do want to get a few glofish danios how many should I add? I know they like to school and are best kept in groups. Any suggestions would be great as I don't want to overstock.

I currently have an aqua clear 50 on the tank now and may add another one when there is more fish, there are a few anubias and its aerated as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think a half-dozen glofish danios would be fine, but perhaps just stick to regular danios. The glofish variety are a waste if money imho. They're sickly and often horribly kept in stores because of their appeal.

Definitely get another Aquaclear. You can never have too much filtration.

A half dozen cory cats would be nice, too. This way you have movement on the bottom of the tank.

? Diana Lee ?
? the Redhead ?

Agreed about adding the 2nd Aquaclear. The AC 50 is enough for that tank, but just enough. On my 20-long, I have an AC 50 and an AC 20, and the water is crystal clear. Also, one at each end will give you better flow. For the 40, I'd add a second AC 50. :fish1:

So I can only add 6 danios and 6 Corey cats and I'm fully stocked?

So I can only add 6 danios and 6 Corey cats and I'm fully stocked?

No, I think you're far from being fully stocked on that tank, even if you added the danios and corys, and particularly if you added a second filter.

I should think you could add 9-11 zebra danios to create an interesting, active school. Then give the biofilter time to adjust before adding other fish.

Oh, also, you'll almost certainly get fry from those mollies.

Yea I know the mollies are going to help stock the tank some. Would I be able to add a few neon tetras in as well? If so how many do you think would suffice?

The tropical tank is newer for me. I'm more familiar with fancy goldfish and their sticking guidelines are very different.

Yea I know the mollies are going to help stock the tank some. Would I be able to add a few neon tetras in as well? If so how many do you think would suffice?

I have a school of 11 neons in a 20 long with some platys and they're doing fine. Their bioload is light, so I'm sure you could have a similarly sized school of these, plus a school of another small fish to provide contrast with the mollies.

Back
Top Bottom