Stocking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwakatoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I've been cycling my new 68ltr tank at 28C, very soft rainwater, driftwood, etc. TBH I'm not doing a lot at the moment with measuring parameters as I can't walk due to an op. So I've been researching fish ... Here's the tank FYI.

View attachment 289926
View attachment 289927
View attachment 289928

Btw, would the driftwood in the tank cause the brown algae? It's rainwater tank supply of water in the aquarium, could it be from the outside tank tannins?

So... what do you think of this for a community tank:

2 X Blue Rams,
1 X Dwarf gourami
6 X Cardinal tetras

Plus.. I was wondering about an algae eater but from my research I can't seem to figure one that won't be a high bio load (like a pleco), or I was thinking I might need to stay away from a bottom dweller (like an Oto) which will clash with the Rams, oh - and any suitable candidate needs to like a temp of 28C and ph 6.5.

A bristle nose is all I can come up with, is that the best option, any ideas would be great!
I like the Oto's.. They are cute, but will they cause lower tank conflict with the Rams? And would 2 be better than 1?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nerite snails would work as a alage eater, an since thier snails, low bio load and truthfully, otos are never bottom dwellers in my tank. They always cling to something, such as the glass.

Also instead of cardinals, have you thought about neons? They stay smaller and have the same bright colors. Either way with cardinals or neons I believe you could get away with 7 of them

Nerite snails would work as a alage eater, an since thier snails, low bio load and truthfully, otos are never bottom dwellers in my tank. They always cling to something, such as the glass.

Also instead of cardinals, have you thought about neons? They stay smaller and have the same bright colors. Either way with cardinals or neons I believe you could get away with 7 of them

Thank you for your ideas CG. I have had neon tetras and enjoyed them. I did hear the cardinals can be a bit more peaceful, and slightly hardier. Was going to give it a try. Yep 7 would be better :)

And yep a snail or two and and oto or two I think would be good.

Hi all, I've been cycling my new 68ltr tank at 28C, very soft rainwater, driftwood, etc. TBH I'm not doing a lot at the moment with measuring parameters as I can't walk due to an op. So I've been researching fish ... Here's the tank FYI.

View attachment 289926
View attachment 289927
View attachment 289928

Btw, would the driftwood in the tank cause the brown algae? It's rainwater tank supply of water in the aquarium, could it be from the outside tank tannins?

So... what do you think of this for a community tank:

2 X Blue Rams,
1 X Dwarf gourami
6 X Cardinal tetras

Plus.. I was wondering about an algae eater but from my research I can't seem to figure one that won't be a high bio load (like a pleco), or I was thinking I might need to stay away from a bottom dweller (like an Oto) which will clash with the Rams, oh - and any suitable candidate needs to like a temp of 28C and ph 6.5.

A bristle nose is all I can come up with, is that the best option, any ideas would be great!
I like the Oto's.. They are cute, but will they cause lower tank conflict with the Rams? And would 2 be better than 1?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

68ltr is not quite 18g. That's not a lot of floor space for a territorial fish like Rams. AFAIK they need at least a 20Long ??

I'd say look at Neons and maybe a Dwarf Gourami and some little Corydoras. Like C habrosus.

But if you go with Neons, drop the temp to 76f (24.4c)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

68ltr is not quite 18g. That's not a lot of floor space for a territorial fish like Rams. AFAIK they need at least a 20Long ??

It's borderline yes. I'm glass is half full kind of person. I'll do away with all the other fish if I can keep the dwarf Blue Rams. They are who I've set this tank up for.

Not really, though the ph would be an issue now that I'm think about. Rams and snails are tropical and prefer temps 72-78,

Blue rams like a pH between 5 and 7.5, and nerites like a pH between 7 and 8.8. Most community tanks are kept around 7, so that's feasible.

Nerite snails like temperatures between 72° and 78° F, but blue rams prefer between 80° and 86° F.

I have both and have researched extensively trying to figure out a way to keep them in the same tank. You *might* be able to acclimate one to the other's preferred environment, but would you really want to compromise before you even start?

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Blue rams like a pH between 5 and 7.5, and nerites like a pH between 7 and 8.8. Most community tanks are kept around 7, so that's feasible.

Nerite snails like temperatures between 72° and 78° F, but blue rams prefer between 80° and 86° F.

I have both and have researched extensively trying to figure out a way to keep them in the same tank. You *might* be able to acclimate one to the other's preferred environment, but would you really want to compromise before you even start?

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Ah, I didnt know that. I thought they both swung around 75-80 temp range Geez they like it hot, I don't even keep my saltwater tank that heated. Anyway, the ph of this tank is set at 6.5 which is why I mentioned ph.

I'd say look at Neons and maybe a Dwarf Gourami and some little Corydoras. Like C habrosus.

But if you go with Neons, drop the temp to 76f (24.4c)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Would those Corey handle the temp suggested?

Would those Corey handle the temp suggested?

Not doing Cories. You are correct!

Tank will be 27-28C
With a ph 6.5-6.8
Water Hardness : 2° to 6° dH

My plan is to slowly add to the community tank over time as follows:
1. Cardinal Tetra - can handle 27C (tank currently 26C for them)
2. Maybe an Oto, but a dwarf gourami sits better in those parameters
3. Then the Blue Ram pair.

Here's my other new fish, currently in another tank I'm re-establishing. He's the only occupant so far. I wanted to get some Celestial Pearl Danio's to keep him company but the fish shop said they are hard for them to stock.
IMG_1477119828.987677.jpg

The only Cory that is easily available that handles high temps are C sterbai. But they aren't a little Cory. So would need a bigger tank, plus Rams would pick on them in such a small tank.
I was thinking C. Schwartzi may as well but again they require to be in a group as well

FYI single Otos tend to stop eating and die. They are a very social Cat. I try to keep 3 at minimum, more is better. They are wildcaught and fragile the first 2 weeks. But after they get established they can be very hardy. Temps ?
I've kept my Otos in unheated tanks in the past, but currently mine are at 78°F

Back
Top Bottom