Stocking thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just more stocking advice...
Its y 10g with 1 adult platy and 3 med. size babies. I dont know what else to put in there. I would like something active, and/or colorful.

thx
Fishguy1111

Forgot to mention:
Semi-aggresive fish would be great, as long as they dont touch the platys.
:thanks:

I personally wouldn't put anything else in there. Platys poop a ton and have large bioloads.

by medium size platys i mean .5 inches. Also, i plan on getting a larger tank in the next 6 months. I am very up to date on WCs, doing 20-30% a week. my filter is 90gph, and i may add more filtration if necesscary.

Scotty is right. Don't add anything else, Platys have a huge bio-load and they grow fast. A 10g tank is tiny. Personally I wouldn't want the responsibility of a tiny tank. When water conditions go bad they go bad fast and big. While I would have no issues with 12 platys in a 30g, 4 platys in a 10 IMHO isn't a good thing. No you are not overstocked, but better under than over in a small tank like that. Wait to add until you get the bigger tank. Your fish will thank you in the long run.

Ok, thx for the info. Would it be ok I I added 1-2 snails, OR a small group of shrimp?

It would be okay but not ideal. I would not because both of those can overpopulate very quickly. I have to assume that this isn't their final home right? Because IMHO 4 platies will eventually totally overstock that tank.

Yes, the platys are soon to go into a bigger tank, next time petco has its dollar per gallon sale, which I believe is April. Also, I was thinking nerite snails, which only breed in brackish water.

Thx for all the help

I am now planning either a 29 or 40g tank. Can't wait!

Cool! Obviously go with the 40 if possible, but both would be great. If I had a 40B, just to give you ideas, this is what I would do:

10 rummynose tetras
6 neons
6 bleeding heart tetras
6 ottocinclus vittatus
2 appistogramma cacatuoides
7 harlequin rasboras
5 pygmy cories

Sounds overstocked but it would be planted well with an ac 70 and the fish are small with low bioloads. You would get tons of action!

I believe they are doing the dollar a gallon sale right now. Somebody just posted about buying a tank there within the last week.

They are in fact doing the dollar per gallon sale right now. I think it ends on the 15th.

Cool! Obviously go with the 40 if possible, but both would be great. If I had a 40B, just to give you ideas, this is what I would do:

10 rummynose tetras
6 neons
6 bleeding heart tetras
6 ottocinclus vittatus
2 appistogramma cacatuoides
7 harlequin rasboras
5 pygmy cories

Sounds overstocked but it would be planted well with an ac 70 and the fish are small with low bioloads. You would get tons of action!

Thanks for the ideas! It really helps.

I believe they are doing the dollar a gallon sale right now. Somebody just posted about buying a tank there within the last week.

Yes, my petco has the sale rift now as well, but I am not ready for it yet. I wish I was, though!

Back
Top Bottom