Stop making babies! Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Videonut85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Seriously though, I will hopefully be adding fish to my tank in about 3 or 4 weeks. If I have a school of fish like cardinal tetra, is there a way to discourage reproduction? This is my first tank, I'd like to keep things simple and babies are a whole extra obstacle to deal with. Should I get all females for schools of fish?

What size tank? Tetra are egg layers and unless you have many hiding places for the eggs or are specifically trying to breed, you are unlikely to see any babies. Eggs make tasty treats for any fish in the tank and are eaten...even if some did survive, the fry will most likely be eaten as well. I have a tank full of various tetra and have never once seen fry. Just stay away from livebearers such as Guppy, Molly, Swordtail, and Platy.

What size tank? Tetra are egg layers and unless you have many hiding places for the eggs or are specifically trying to breed, you are unlikely to see any babies. Eggs make tasty treats for any fish in the tank and are eaten...even if some did survive, the fry will most likely be eaten as well. I have a tank full of various tetra and have never once seen fry. Just stay away from livebearers such as Guppy, Molly, Swordtail, and Platy.

I'll have a molly and platy, but only 1 of each. The schools would be the tetra, cory, and possibly glo fish.

Back
Top Bottom