Stupid Play Sand - I think I hate you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbysue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sooooo,

Finally finished rinsing and rinsing and rinsing the play sand to go in to my highly anticipated new aquarium. Did I mention the rinsing until the water ran clear? In this weather? Outside?

Sand into aquarium. Add water. Cloudy. :banghead: It's not a matter of sand in the water. It's dirt. Le sigh.

I haven't started my filter yet - should I? Tank is about 50g. Filter is a fluval 306. Start the filter but remove some components?

Thanks for any help,

Yours, in turbidity,

Susan

I know it would be a pain to do at this stage but I very highly recommend pool filter sand, I have had both and I hated play sand! Always made the water slightly cloudy even after being set up almost a year. As for putting the filter on if it has been long enough for all of the actual sand to sink then its fine.

Good luck

It will settle. It might take a while but it will happen of you're willing to wait. You can add some floss to your filter to help remove some of the smaller particles in the water and do a water change being very careful not to disturb any more sand.

After extensive rinsing my tank was cloudy even after running the filter. After a 75% WC it was much better. Never tried pool sand ( play sand was cheap ). Just switched to EcoComplete because the play sand gave the fish (Gold tetras) a washed out appearance and I wanted a darker and slightly heavier substrate. Like it so far. Also, was concerned about the fine grains of sand and my HOB.

What type of sand did you use? I've used Quikrete's premium playsand which is dried, screened and washed. I rinse it in a pillow case and never have any clouding issues.

I used a bag of play sand that I found at Costco...
I think that I will give it a few more days. No, I will give it until tomorrow to show signs of clearing, because I have a few hours off in the afternoon, and if I'm not happy with that dastardly play sand, it's going to have to go and play somewhere else!

Even if it does clear now, I'm worried that each time I do a PWC, or move things around, it will get all cloudy again.

(I miss gravel) :ermm:

Susan

Thanks, everyone, for your insights.

abbysue said:
I used a bag of play sand that I found at Costco...
I think that I will give it a few more days. No, I will give it until tomorrow to show signs of clearing, because I have a few hours off in the afternoon, and if I'm not happy with that dastardly play sand, it's going to have to go and play somewhere else!

Even if it does clear now, I'm worried that each time I do a PWC, or move things around, it will get all cloudy again.

(I miss gravel) :ermm:

Susan

Thanks, everyone, for your insights.

When I clean mind it doesn't make everything cloudy again, its kinda a one time deal. I hope this put your mind at ease.

When I used sand I would have to pour the replacement water in SLOWLY. Then again, I had goldfish in that tank and they did a good job leveling things out in case I was sloppy.
You could be creative and use a watering can (the kind that has a spray head nozzle) just as if you were watering your house/garden plants. Something to break up the force.
I have not tried this yet, but perhaps placing a small piece of styrofoam or foam saucer on the surface and then pouring the water over that.

I used play sand, Rinsed about 8 times before going in. It was a little cloudy for a bit then cleared. When I do water changes I run my fingers through the top layer of sand to loosen up the fish poo. The sand lifts and swirls back down pretty quickly. Then I siphon per usual (for sand).

I put a plate on the bottom when I put water back in. You still have to control the flow but the plate keeps the water from displacing sand on the bottom.

I dunno. If I ever set up a salt tank I will do it the same way. Just have not done it yet.

i think i read about that before n they say that it wasnt good cuz that sand got to many chemicals in it i got to look in to it

Since there was absolutely no change in clarity today, I decided to get rid of the play sand, and replace with pool filter sand.
I didn't have visibly floating debris with the pool sand - I think it was part of the dissolved clay that I didn't remove after rinsing it vigorously for over an hour... the water was greenish grey :huh:

So - now I love my python for draining this tank, as well as filling it! Drained that sucker, (removed driftwood and rocks... and egg crate), scooped out the dastardly dirty play sand with a durable plastic dust pan, sucked out the rest of the water with a turkey baster, whiped the whole thing down - then IN WITH THE POOL SAND!

The beautiful, clean (and 3x the cost, but still less than $20 for 50lbs) pool sand is now in, as is clean, clear water!

AND my new Fluval 306 is running (easier to set up than I thought it would be - my first ever cannister filter), and tomorrow I should have the rest of my glass canopy.

Me = Happy!

Thanks everyone, for your advice and insight! :flowers:

Susan

Good luck with the PFS. I think you'll love your Fluval. I went to a canister (406) a year ago and I'll never go back again.

Back
Top Bottom