Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stupid Question...

I am currently in the 6 week waiting period for my tank to cycle. Is it alright for me to keep my light in the hood on all the time? Is it only sunlight that causes major algae growth? Thanks~

Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If there's no plants, not a good idea! An algae bloom is not fun, IMO. I'm battling one!! Ugh...

Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, i don't have any live plants, so I'll keep it off during the day. How do live plants affect the algae? I'm new to this.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plants, like algae, eat up the nutrients in the water. They are great for looks and water quality. You can add live plants at any point in your cycle..... thereby giving you a reason to turn the light on

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Even if there are no fish yet in the tank i shouldn't have it on? Just to clarify? Thanks~
Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

correct...leave you lights off..until u get something in there...algae is a bummer!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say leave it on, just on a shortened cycle, like 6-8 hours a day. Odds are that you plan on getting some sort of algae eating fish in the long run, let it be a pleco species or otocinclus, my point is that it's not a bad thing to have some algae. My lights have been on a 12 hour cycle since day one, about 3 months ago, and i have NO algae, due in part to a great clean up crew of nerite snails.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know what you plan on stocking?

Algae is incredibly easy to grow.... so I'd say no rush on that. But if you really want some.... I've got a glass of green water on my window seal with a piece of ivy in it!

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com