Stupid question (probably)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm assuming it is dead. According to the link, it has been cleaned and dried.

They also said this:
"This rock is free of organics except the dust that may settle on it during transport. Because of this it can be added to an established tank without causing a cycle."

Then its dead, I'd say you'd be safe washing it well and using it and that'd probably look great.

No such thing as a stupid question. :cool:

If you put live rock in freshwater, will it die? I am assuming so because it probably needs SW conditions?

if you can, look back and find the Tang Tank that HN1 and Severum Mama set up. They used base rock (dead live rock basically) for theirs. It'll help buffer up the ph alot like crushed coral will. The only thing ya gotta be careful about is water changes. If your ph is significantly lower from the tap than your tank, you'll need to buffer it before putting it in to avoid a ph swing. I, personally, dont like the look of base rock, but its what you like that counts :)

The reason I was looking at this rock is that it looks a lot like the lace rock pieces I already have. Since lace rock is crazy expensive out here and most places want an arm and leg for shipping, this idea came to me.

I would obviously soak it then wash it before putting it in the tank. But the pH was a main concern. I know out of the tap we are in the 8. range.

Ah well, I emailed them to see if it is safe for an african tank. Got to be sure.

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom