Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almost_naze

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off, hi all! second, i just got my first tank since i was a kid. Its a 55 gal., and i'm in the market for "substrate", or gravel i suppose it is. I want to get khuli loaches or something similar, and i read they like to burrow, but hard gravel will hurt them. I don't want that, but i don't really know what to put in to make them comfortable.

Top Fin® Aquarium Gravel - 2 and 5 lbs - Décor - Fish - PetSmart

gravel like that is about all i have acess locally, and it just seems like it would hurt the little guys. any ideas where and what i should get? also, down the road i'd like to try my hand at growing plants as well.

thanks!

I started with the EXACT same gravel when I first had my Kuhli's. I thought the same thing as you, so I switched over to pfs (pool filter sand). I got a 50lb bag of pfs at Ace Hardware for $11. My Kuhli's don't burrow, the only thing I have noticed them doing, is "digging" with their front fins in the sand.

NO WAY! lol, it is pretty. and thanks for the fast reply. does the sand make the water all mucky? like cloudy i suppose is what i mean? i thought maybe i could get a bag of the rocks and mix it mostly with sand, so it wasn't boring looking.

on a side note, how much gravel per water do you put in your tank? i have heard you put in 2 lbs per gallon, 1 lb per gallon, and another theory said multiply width and length then cut off the last digit, which would mean i'd need 62 lbs of gravel. I'm confused!

thanks again!

If you rinse the crap out of it, it should not make your water cloudy. Mine didn't get cloudy. I have beach glass mixed in with my sand, so it actually looks like a real beach.
As to how much, I just put enough in to make 1-2 inches on the bottom, so I could bury my plants and decor. When I filled my 75G, I used the whole 50lbs. I bought another bag for my 20G, and was able to also use some in the 10G and 5G, and still have over a 1/2 a bag leftover.

Play sand has a lot of character to it. Mine is a light tan color with bigger black and white chunks in it and it's $3 for 50lb at Home Depot.

My khulis love it. They actually take mouthfuls of sand and filter it out through their gills.

I put the whole 50lb bag in my 29g and the sand is about 4" deep. If you use the whole bag, you'd end up with about 2.5" of sand depth.

there lots of options out there you have to stop thinking about fish items and start looking other places. i started with pea gravel from lowes 50 pounds $2.50. i have used pool filter sand play sand soil master select.... want to try out color quartz and so on.

Back
Top Bottom