Substrate and Species!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Equdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently acquired a 120 gallon tank from a friend who is moving, and I want to turn it into a tropical freshwater aquarium. I also want to have it planted, as well as have some hardscaping. I’ve been looking around on the internet, but I can’t find a definite answer about how much soil and gravel to use for such a large tank. For now, I’m planning on having 1.5 inches of gravel for every 1 inch of soil, which I plan on getting from a creek behind my house (I will sundry the soil that I get for 24 hours before adding it, because apparently that will kill the bugs in it or something?) I don’t want the soil to leech out of the gravel and stain the water, but I’m not sure if I have too much or too little gravel/soil. I’m also concerned if the type of wood and stone that I put in will harm the fish I put in, because I can’t find the answer no matter how I search. I want to use Cleveland Pear Tree wood, since I recently cut one down, and some rocks that I found (once again) around my creek. Should I take off the bark? Boil the wood? I’m not sure if I’m asking for too much, but some fish species recommendations for such a large tank would be appreciated as well.

I would just go ahead and use black diamond blasting sand, or pool filter sand, or any other inert sand.

Fertilize for the plants.

The bark will leach more than the wood underneath and fall off fast, so just strip it off first. Soak the wood for at least a week before putting it in the tank. Boiling it first will help.

Back
Top Bottom