Substrate change 2 weeks ago now Amonia at 2ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I switched from gravel to Tahitian moon sand 2 weeks ago. Now my nitrate and nitrite are at 0 ppm..however my Amonia is at 2 ppm. I have not cleaned by bio filter in a few months as I wanted to ensure I wasn't causing harm when I switched substrate. I used Prime when I did a 20% water change last night, however the Amonia is scary at 2 ppm. Any tips? Should I clean my bio filter and add Amonia reducing pads or will that throw off my water quality since the sand is only a few weeks old?

I would do a 50% water change, That high ammonia sound pretty bad and your fish will start to become effected by it. I switched my Sub from one sand color to another and did not have this kind of spike. are you sure nothing sprayed, came near accidentally dumped or dripped into your tank? You need to get that level down to amm 0

Thanks, will do. Should I also clean the bio filter? Change carbon/nitrate pads?

Change the water and swish your biofilter, pads whatever media in your filter in the bucket or used water. I give mine several to a 12 good squeezes. that gets rid of all the fish particles. Make sure to use old tank water or it will kill your BB. Then next week, take some tank water and swish it in the housing. Then dump it. Have you checked for dead fish or snails in your tank? That maybe your ammonia source. you have nitrate pads in there? What kind of filter is it?

Thanks, no dead fish. It is a eheim cannister filter. I have nitrate and carbon pads in with the coco pebble looking glass balls

did you do a really good gravel cleaning before you started to change to sand? stirring up a bunch of poop and waste products might be causing the rise in ammonia. everyone gave you good advice so i think you'll get a handle on your problem soon. good luck.

I did not do a thorough vac prior. Just changed 50 gallons, dropped a little. Will be doing the filter tomorrow to see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the good advice!

Update: cleaned the filter using tank water and now my nitrates are thru the roof and Amonia is still a issue. What's next?

It sounds like a mini cycle caused by changing the substrate. Keep up water changes but don't clean the filter anymore until the cycle is over. Overcleaning just gets rid of more BB.

If you have a test kit, change 25-50% whenever it gets above .25ppm. If you don't have a test kit. Change 50% at least every day. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom