Substrate change advice/plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotanProject

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I need some advice on changing my substrate. I recently tested out my current substrate with the "vinegar test" and discovered that my substrate fizzles and makes bubbles in a reaction to the vinegar. From what I've read, this indicates that my substrate has limestone properties and releases calcium and carbonate, resulting in an increase of both KH and GH. Well since I'm keeping low KH and GH preference fish (Rasboras, Tetras, Corys and eventually Angelfish and Blue Ram Cichlids), I've decided that I need to change the substrate.

I've been looking at these stones from my local rock/stone shop. Can anyone tell me if they are suitable for aquarium use? This one is called Salmon Bay stone at a size of 3/8" Here is the link:

http://www.krcrock.com/round_rock_info_7.php

They also carry another type called Polished Pebbles at 3/8" size. Anyways, my plan right now is to change the substrate slowly. Instead of taking the substrates out all at once, I plan to shift 1/4 of it over and then put 1/4 of the new substrate in. Then after 1 week take that 1/4 of it out of the tank. This leaves me with 1/4 new and 3/4 old. Then proceed the same way til I'm done. Does this sound like a safe plan?

Find out from your local stone shop what the properties of the rocks are. Have you considered pool filter sand? It is very inexpensive and looks very natural. I have to ask too what you are using for substrate currently?

The 3/8" stone is too big for aquarium use, in my opinion. As far as pool filter sand goes, most of it is just pure white silica sand which is very unnatural looking. There are some PFS that are natural looking, such as those from Red Flint. It makes a decent substrate though, and is relatively inexpensive. I would change it all at once.

The PFS I got at a local pool store looks very real, it looks like the bottom of an ocean under normal tank lighting (multiple different shades of brown, white, grey, black). Definately doesn't have that washed out play sand look and I couldn't be happier with the cost (50lb bag for $12 near me), nor the fact that I could care less if I suck some up during a gravel vac.

The cory and MTS love it too.

I just switched out the substrate in one of my tanks for PFS, I agree it has a very nice look, is easy to deal with, and very cheap (for me, the 50 lb. bag was $7.49 from a local pool supply store). I put it directly into the tank without any rinsing at all, and had absolutely ZERO debris/cloudiness.

My other tank is a rather heavily planted tank, for that I used Eco-Complete. It's a nice dark color and provides nutriets to root-feeding plants. Significantly pricier, but then again, so is buying root fertilizer tabs for years...

All the PFS around me is not white. Looks like regular beach sand. I would switch the substrate out 1/2 at a time rather than all at once. 1/4 by 1/4 is not necessary IMO.

But I would recommend DEFINATELY to wash the PFS before putting it in the tank. The stuff I got had been sitting outside under a tarp during the winter, and even after 45min of straight cleaning, it still clouded my tank up when I filled it for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom