Substrate for Cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did it! I gently moved the gravel mix to the back, built a flagstone wall, and in front of the wall is a sandbox filled with Tahitian black sand for my albino Cory cats.

Fingers crossed…

Magicmarymac said:
I did it! I gently moved the gravel mix to the back, built a flagstone wall, and in front of the wall is a sandbox filled with Tahitian black sand for my albino Cory cats.

Fingers crossed…

Any pics?

Last photo and test results

36 Gallon
PH 7.4, Nitrite 0
11/3/12 Ammo .15, Nitrate 60 Added Water Sprite & did a 35% PWC

11/4/12 Ammo .10, Nitrate 40

Note: I have a very hard time distinguishing colors on the lower end of Ammo and between 40 & 80 on Nitrate, so I am guessing.

Thank you

:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 71
OMG, Super happy I saw this post. I'm pretty sure we have the exact same equipment set up and tank. Is yours the aquaeon 36G bowfront kit? And then you added on the marineland biowheel filter cuz the one that came with it sucked? lol.

Anyway, I was toying in my head with a way to make a sandbox in the front bowed part, wasn't sure how to stop the gravel and sand from mixing and I had abandoned the idea, but you've inspired me that I still want to do it. I'm slowly phasing out some of my gravel for polished stones and after I'm done, I'm convinced I'll get a barrier like what you have and go forward with a sandbox in front for cory play.

LOVE it.

Glad you like it!

… It is indeed the Aqueon bow front kit with the horrible noisy splashy filter. I may eventually replace it with a power head and sponge filter. That would have to be done very gradually though, and after the holidays.

I am sure that the gravel will infiltrate the sand, but once the plants get going… well we will see.

In the mean time I am enjoying watching the Cory cats start to learn to play in their sandbox… just as I am learning how to provide a safe and healthy home for them.

Thank you,

Mary

I'm so glad that worked out for you! Looks terrific! Love the rasboras... Your fish will be happy in their sand box.

Back
Top Bottom