Substrate...quantities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you really need two pounds of substrate per gallon of water?!

What?! I've never heard this! I've always just gone by "inches"...and put it in til it looked about right! I think I maybe used 40lbs of gravel for my 55g? Just guessing here.

If that's true, then jeez...110lbs gravel for a 55g tank? WOW. Can't imagine how heavy the whole thing would be.

Haha ok, sounds good to me! Must be a marketing ploy by the company I saw...shame on them

I don't know about that...but they said when you want planted tanks, you need to have at least 2-3" of gravel for the root to grow. With my 10G Planted, I have 15lbs of substrate/gravel mix and it is about 2-3 inches for my plants...

Its not necessary to use the 2lbs per gallon rule unless you are dealing with plants. Really, all you need is 1.5 pounds per gallon.

Ok...let me rephrase :) this will be a planted tank...it's 50g, so is the 2lbs/g appropriate?

Pounds per gallon really depends on the substrate density. I put 50lb of play sand in my 29g for a 3"-3.5" depth. I put 40lb of Black Blast in my 40B for a 3" depth. The 40B has a footprint of 4.5 sq. ft. The 29g has a footprint of 2.5 sq. ft. Black Blast is a lot less dense than play sand.

Ok, well I just bought two 25lbs bags of small pea gravel...so I guess well see what it does! :) but I think this build is gonna be very little by very little...drats! :)

I know I will have to buy more, but so far it's what I can afford for a few days! I hope plants do well in it...

mfdrookie516 said:
Where'd ya get it? Seems like I saw some at lowes or home depot in 50lb bags for about $5.

Are you fricken kidding?! I don't wanna say...I'm gonna get lectured! :) (Petco)

Ahh... yeah... LFS are bad places to get substrate IMO... Sounds odd I'm sure, but I haven't purchased substrate from an LFS since I got the neon gravel in my first tank. PFS, Pea Gravel, and Potting soil. All purchased from Meijer, Walmart, or Lowes.

Well shoot dang...lesson learned :) Guess I'll have to get another tank to practice the lessons I'm learning :)

I don't have too many problems with Petco and Petsmart. In fact, my favorite LFS would prefer that you buy your basic supplies at the big box stores. It leaves them more room to stock fish and specialty items that the big box stores won't stock and can't compete with quality-wise.

That's what I think too! Leave the fishies and the plants to the mom and pop, but I think gravel is ok...just expensive *Boooo*

Back
Top Bottom