Substrate question...?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalheadx

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in my pair of F8s' tank ....the black gravel is losing it's color and leaving dust all over everything in the tank ....so my question is should I replace it with sand or just gravel again ?! I know people love sand a lot but, do others use there aquaclears with sand and not tear up there impellers ?! And will it at all stress the fish when it's settling and cloudy ?! Any thoughts would be great as I will need to get this done tomorrow . Thanks again !

It won't tear up the impellers as ling as you keep the filter off until the sand settles, and don't kick it up too much. But I would go with sand, it looks really nice :)

Jet don't change all of the substrate at once, maybe someone with more experience can elaborate on that.

George9 said:
It won't tear up the impellers as ling as you keep the filter off until the sand settles, and don't kick it up too much. But I would go with sand, it looks really nice :)

Jet don't change all of the substrate at once, maybe someone with more experience can elaborate on that.

Thanks! And I wont change all at once anyway ... I know it holds a lot of good bacteria ( or what I have heard ) .

IF it's a freshwater tank I wouldn't do the whole substrate as crushed coral; it'll mess with your PH a lot and it's rather sharp and uneven.

I vote for changing to sand. My black gravel was losing color too and it looked awful. I took the opportunity to change to black sand (I used CaribSea) and it looks gorgeous. Much more natural than gravel and the color is very rich and I'm getting some Panda Corys this week who should have fun playing in it without worrying that the gravel is too sharp for their barbels. :D

Just rinse the dickens out of the sand before you put it in. It still might kick up some cloudy water for a bit but it'll settle.

librarygirl said:
IF it's a freshwater tank I wouldn't do the whole substrate as crushed coral; it'll mess with your PH a lot and it's rather sharp and uneven.

I vote for changing to sand. My black gravel was losing color too and it looked awful. I took the opportunity to change to black sand (I used CaribSea) and it looks gorgeous. Much more natural than gravel and the color is very rich and I'm getting some Panda Corys this week who should have fun playing in it without worrying that the gravel is too sharp for their barbels. :D

Just rinse the dickens out of the sand before you put it in. It still might kick up some cloudy water for a bit but it'll settle.

It's a brackish tank ..... 1.006. Ya sand would look good .... And the panda corys are cute lil' fishes . ..... So my question is when ya changed it in your tank ... Did you do it with your fish still in there ?

You leave the fish there. I believe you would change a little at a time. But I don't have firsthand experience on this. Librarygirl probably has more to say :)

I did not leave my fish in for my change I put them in a rubbermaid bin hooked their filter and heater on

Changed all my gravel for sand all at once weather you change a little or all of it a mini cycle could still happen so have your test kit on hand and be ready for possible pwc

I let all the dust settle overnight and then added all my fish back the next morning no fish deaths or mini cycles

If you choose sand rinse rinse rinse if you think you rinsed enough rinse again and don't put too much in the bucket at once cause the dust can settle again before your done a 1/4 of your bucket is plenty of sand at once and churn it till your water runs clear

Here is a before after with pool filter sand if it helps make an easier decision

ryan-peddle said:
I did not leave my fish in for my change I put them in a rubbermaid bin hooked their filter and heater on

Changed all my gravel for sand all at once weather you change a little or all of it a mini cycle could still happen so have your test kit on hand and be ready for possible pwc

I let all the dust settle overnight and then added all my fish back the next morning no fish deaths or mini cycles

If you choose sand rinse rinse rinse if you think you rinsed enough rinse again and don't put too much in the bucket at once cause the dust can settle again before your done a 1/4 of your bucket is plenty of sand at once and churn it till your water runs clear

Here is a before after with pool filter sand if it helps make an easier decision

I always rinse all my substrate anyway real good .... My real big concern is my filters ( h.o.b. ) and there impellers .... I have heard a lot that it tears up .... and I most likely will do sand now almost did it in the past but didn't want to cause I had my tanks stocked already

O I am sure to rinse very well but if you never used sand you will soon understand

And my tank was stocked as well good luck remember before and after pics

If your filter issue is bugging you just shut it off until everything clears it will be fine

ryan-peddle said:
O I am sure to rinse very well but if you never used sand you will soon understand

And my tank was stocked as well good luck remember before and after pics

If your filter issue is bugging you just shut it off until everything clears it will be fine

Cool cool ... Thanks ! going tomorrow to get it .... I'll post pics when done !

Back
Top Bottom