Suggestion for Channa Species to Keep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oRandolpHo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am new to fish keeping, and the first large (kinda) fish I choose is snakeheads!

However, I have a custom made tank with a length x width x height of 145 x 37.5 x 68.5 cm (or around 57 x 14 x 26 inches), which I would like to keep a pair of dwarf or small snakeheads in.

I live in Thailand and room temperature ranges around 24-30c during the day.

Could you please suggest what kind of dwarf or small snakeheads I should keep in the tank? Will the tank be too cramped for a pair of Channa Asiatica? Will Channa Ornatipinnis or Channa Bleheri be too uncomfortable with the temperature?

Thank you for any suggestions :)

Most states in the US ban the import or habitation of snake heads. They're a very disruptive invasive species here. Most states have a "kill upon catching" mandate so SH fish

Right, dwarf in comparison to a 4' monster snake head. The term dwarf in home aquatic lands itself to fish under 3" imo. A dwarf snakehead would need a 6' tank no less than 150 gallons. That thing could probably break 3/8" glass full speed.

Right, dwarf in comparison to a 4' monster snake head. The term dwarf in home aquatic lands itself to fish under 3" imo. A dwarf snakehead would need a 6' tank no less than 150 gallons. That thing could probably break 3/8" glass full speed.
Yeah right! Like you said, dwarf compared to the other monsters. And feeding that thing.... wow

Yeah right! Like you said, dwarf compared to the other monsters. And feeding that thing.... wow
Feeding it would be awesome. I know live feeding is a touchy subject but... dropping some shiners in front of an apex predator... woooohoooo! And he missed and went through the side of the tank. My feet are wet, who's going to clean this up? Now I'm hungry.

Chana bleheri are my favorite fish ever but I live in Maryland and we have a massive infestation of Northern Snakeheads so no snakeys for me. This is about as close to “keeping” one as I’ll get lol

IMG_0790.jpg

Back
Top Bottom