Suggestions on stocking a 12 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmurphy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Do you have any suggestions for stocking (and planting) a 12 gallon Fluval Edge? My research so far has me interested in translucent fish and shrimps (like glassfish and ghost shrimp), but any suggestions for a peaceful community are welcome!

JP

:welcome: to the forum!

I don't know too much about glass fish, but you could pick from:

shrimp,
guppies,
endlers,
tetras
snails

With planting, you can pretty much do anything. Id get on youtube or check out some planted tanks on here to get some ideas. Depending on what plants you like, depends on how much care you need to give them. Some plants, like java fern, will grow on driftwood or rock, while others like to be submerged under soil. 2 Watts per gallon for light. Research each type of plant you like BEFORE you buy! I say this because ive done it myself, I go to my local fish store, think a plant looks nice and buy it, to come home and find out it is not even an aquatic plant....:banghead: :facepalm:

There are some awesome planted tanks out there and small is fine in the planted world.

Thanks, SKB!

Tetras look interesting (e.g. Glowlights, Cardinals) ... Do you think I could stock enough (6 or so) to keep them happily schooling? I ask because I would love to have a gang (let's pretend this is the right word) of 4 or 5 shrimp as well.

I'm thinking low-light plants might be safest for this first tank since I'm not sure how much light the Fluval's default LED's will supply (Fluval has it rated at 42 LEDs, each around 1 watt - so about 21 gallons)? Maybe a mixture of dwarf grass on the bottom, with java moss on a rock or driftwood, and java fern (for height)? Do you think this would this be too many plants?

I never say u can do too many plants!! Lol just set up how ud do it before u do. Taller plants in the back for example. I like your idea

I think 6 would work with the shrimp too :)

Agreed. I'm thinking the fern can go in the back corners (or maybe something a little more wavy, I'll keep researching like you suggested). As for trying to avoid overstocking, thanks for your support on my estimated numbers. I'm still looking into different kinds of tetras (there are SO MANY!). I would LOVE to find a mixture of some for the middle and some for the top of the tank - to show all of the tank some fish-love. :)

Back
Top Bottom