Suitable 29g tank stand? Placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinypepa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 29 gallon tank from my neighbors, and this is my first tank! The only thing that is keeping me from cleaning and preparing the tank for fish is that I'm worried about what to use as a stand. My neighbors had used this huge antique dresser as a stand for their tank and television.

I am not sure whether I need to buy a separate piece of furniture, or if I might have something that I might work - an antique record cabinet/bench. I think it is a fairly sturdy piece and I regularly sit on it... I weigh about 160 lbs.

hJilvcH.jpg

I'm also not sure about just where to put the tank. I know I will have to move the bench if I can use it. I've read about fish being sensitive to noise and vibrations, but the neighbors had their TV right next to the tank.

I do not often watch loud movies, and I have a stereo in the living room, but also do not listen to music too loudly. Will my tank be okay in the living room? I'd appreciate any tips about tank placement so to reduce the stress of my future fish as much as possible.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

-Kay

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

A tank is pretty heavy (I've heard rule of thumb in 10 lbs per gallon) and it doesn't look like that piece of furniture has a middle bracing section, which would concern me. (But then again I built my stand to handle 600 lbs...so I am a bit of a nervous nelly about weight.)

I built my stand using 2x4s and a thick piece of plywood to sit on top. I painted it black and it looks okay. If price is a problem that might be a better option than the one pictured above. Otherwise, it's probably worth it to buy a stand.

Thanks for the advice. I have no carpentry skills whatsoever, and no tools, so building it is out of the question unless I beg and pay my friend to do it, she has several tanks and got me interested.

I will probably just cave and buy from the pet store. I was told to check Craigslist (nothing good there) and thrift shops, but I'm not sure if I buy thrift that I have the eye to pick something sturdy enough. I had no idea that my bench was particle board!

Take a look around your area, people throw out cabinets, furniture, even stands if your lucky. Look for solid construction and no particle board and check around if people are renovating they often throw out building material. It could cost you nothing, just your time.

Honestly you could probably buy the tools and wood cheaper then the stand. You truly can do it with a skill saw and power drill. I also over shot my weight needs to be safe. Mine is still being built but I have 8 2X4 for legs and three braced 2x4 shelves. I have an unfinished picture...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

If you were to buy a piece of furniture to put your tank onto. Take a look at the IKEA Kallax. They are solid.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

A lot of people use the IKEA kallax but they're truly very risky for a tank. Nothing to guard against a diagonal collapse if hit just right.

It's going to need to hold 300 lbs, with plenty of guards against side to side shifting. If you can put you and a friend on it and wobble back and forth, sure.

Particle board is risky because it turns to mush when wet.

Cinder blocks and boards work.

I used an old desk. One that held up to the 2 people wobbling trick. But after a year it was showing some wear so I got a proper stand (and bigger tank of course).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom