Sump advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wobblebob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys.
So I’ve just brought myself a 400l tank with a 100l sump. I’ve never used a sump before and was after some advice on media to use and placement etc.
It’s got 3 chambers plus a top up chamber (used to be used for marine but I won’t be using this chamber) I have a filter sock on the pipe letting water into the sump but am stuck with what media to use and whereabouts to put it. I’ve spoke to someone a my local LFS and he advised me to put pond filter media (black, green and blue foam egg crate style sheets) in the middle chamber. I have done this but can’t see how this is going to filter anything considering the water doesn’t pass through them rather just over the top. I’ve attached a pic of the sump layout and any advise anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Thank

Attachments

• 4F2849F3-1774-48A7-9200-D2DCEFE73AF0.jpg
    4F2849F3-1774-48A7-9200-D2DCEFE73AF0.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 56
What you need to do is put the filter media on the left hand side - where your arrow shows inflow. fill the bottom half or so with bioballs or something like that to grow a bacteria colony on. On top of that you need a square of plastic eggcrate mesh or the equivalent. Then put a mesh or felt pad or two over that. I use a 100 micron felt pad on the bottom and top it with a 50 micron pad about half the size of the 100 micron. The pads need to be above the water level so the incoming water flows through them.
Then, once a week, change the pads. Never have to touch bioballs. Easy once you get it set up.

Nice one, thank you.
What size balls would you say? And any particular brand or are they all as good as each other?

I don't think the size makes too much difference. I've only seen two sizes, one about the size of a jawbreaker and the other the size of a golf ball. I'd go for the big ones because in the rare event you have to take apart the sump, it's easier to deal with the large ones.

Back
Top Bottom