Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonovanJM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sump question. I'm trying to decide if I want to have 3 or 4 chambers in my sump. With 3 I would have it be the inlet with mechanical filtration then the next chamber would be biological followed by the return pump. The 4 chamber design would be the inlet and mechanical followed by two bio chambers followed by the return pump. The 3 chamber sump would have a larger chamber for the return pump while the 4 chamber would have more bio filtration. I'm not sure if one bio chamber is enough. It would probably be about 1.5 times the amount of media that the 2 Chamber sump would have. I don't know if the extra couple gallons of water for the return pump is necessary. Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you,
Donovan

The more good bacteria you can have the better it's always better to have as much as you can. I would say 4 Chambers smaller return pump chamber should be completely fine.

I would swap out the lava rock with ceramic media; less void space and more surface area.
As discussed in the other thread, the combined third and fourth chambers would handle evaporation better (great capacity of water in the pump section).

I would swap out the lava rock with ceramic media; less void space and more surface area.
As discussed in the other thread, the combined third and fourth chambers would handle evaporation better (great capacity of water in the pump section).

I got the idea for the lava rock from youtube from the King of DIY. I already picked up a bag so I might as well try it. I'll definitely break it up into smaller pieces to reduce the voids somewhat. I do think I'm going to go with the 3 chamber sump.

Ok this on bio media...It is all over the place in nature and your tank....
You can spend as much as you like and use as much as you like...
Your tank will only EVER [besides ammonia induced cycling] have enough bacteria to deal with what is needed...You following???
My 180 has 12 clowns/ 10 roselines /7 EBA .
I use 2 aquaclear 110 sponges as my bio!!!
They stay submersed and are last after the mechanicals....

ALL bio media becomes nitrate factories and will need eventual cleaning...This is true...
Find a bio media easier to clean [and cheaper] then a sponge....
Spend your money how you will but I would rather have a bigger tank or whatever...

By the way AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor has me at well over 100% stocked with JUST the clowns!!!! They are 10-15 years old so they stay!
I change 30% a week on tank.

Running a sump there is more water surface exposed to the air and the volume of water lost to evaporation is surprising. If you live in an area with high water evaporation then definitely consider the bigger return section. It'll save you having to top-up between weekly water changes.

I could get just over 1 week before water top-up is required.

Back
Top Bottom