Switching Filters- Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, AA!

I am here to discuss my 10 gallon aquarium. It is an all-glass model...

Filter- Aqueon Quiet Power Flow (BS)
Carbon foam pad, with spunky blue rubber things for bio and mechanical filtration.

Heater-None. Water is always 78 (Florida!) and hits 82 with the lights on all day.

Airstone-Not Needed

Fish- Three Platys, One Pleco, One Fiddler Crab. Soon getting three sparkling gouramis or one larger gourami.

Levels- Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-20 PH 7.6

So, I just ordered the AquaClear 150 (For 30 Gallon Tanks). It's going in my 10g. Anyways, how do I do the filter swap? My 29 and 45 run Penguin and Emperor, but I put those on before adding fish and before cycling. Anyways, this is my first time changing the filter in a running tank.

This tank has been up for around 3 months.

So, I ordered the aquaclear 150 (I know. Incase you forgot). It is going to arrive Thurs or Friday. My question is, how do I do the switch?

I would run both at the same time, but the hood only has a hole for one, and I would take the hood off, but my fiddler crab would escape!

How do I do this? Should I remove the stock filter and place the pad in the AquaClear? The filter instructions/descriptions say that all the BB live on the rubber blue stuff, not the cartridge. So do you think it would be OK to run both at once? I might figure out a way.

How do I go about this? I don't want to crash my bio and kill my fish...

Thanks,

QP

Risky. I'd rather run two... AH!!!! But if I run two for a month, how do I know when to take out the old one?

Hey, I just noticed one of my Platys has ich. Barely any, but I spot it real well. With the Pleco in the tank, how many tsp of salt can I do?

QuietPlotter said:
Hello, AA!

I am here to discuss my 10 gallon aquarium. It is an all-glass model...

Filter- Aqueon Quiet Power Flow (BS)
Carbon foam pad, with spunky blue rubber things for bio and mechanical filtration.

Heater-None. Water is always 78 (Florida!) and hits 82 with the lights on all day.

Airstone-Not Needed

Fish- Three Platys, One Pleco, One Fiddler Crab. Soon getting three sparkling gouramis or one larger gourami.

Levels- Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-20 PH 7.6

So, I just ordered the AquaClear 150 (For 30 Gallon Tanks). It's going in my 10g. Anyways, how do I do the filter swap? My 29 and 45 run Penguin and Emperor, but I put those on before adding fish and before cycling. Anyways, this is my first time changing the filter in a running tank.

This tank has been up for around 3 months.

So, I ordered the aquaclear 150 (I know. Incase you forgot). It is going to arrive Thurs or Friday. My question is, how do I do the switch?

I would run both at the same time, but the hood only has a hole for one, and I would take the hood off, but my fiddler crab would escape!

How do I do this? Should I remove the stock filter and place the pad in the AquaClear? The filter instructions/descriptions say that all the BB live on the rubber blue stuff, not the cartridge. So do you think it would be OK to run both at once? I might figure out a way.

How do I go about this? I don't want to crash my bio and kill my fish...

Thanks,

QP

You can wither run the two filters at the same time for a month or two, or you can stuff all of your old media into the new filter. There's lots of room in AquaClear filters and I did the same when I switched mine. I didn't want to pop out the back of my hood to run two filters so I jammed all the media into the AquaClear.

Aces, please check your private messages. Meanwhile, everyone, I don't know how I would stuff anything but the pad into the aquaclear. Here is the filter, supposedly the BB lives on the blue. The pad is in the back...

Attachments

• image-2365394103.jpg
    image-2365394103.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 58
Just put as much as you can from the old into the new. You may get a mini cycle but nothing a couple of PWC and a few extra tests of the params won't fix. It won't kill your fish lol.

Thanks everyone! I'm planning to put the aquaclear carbon into my betta's nano filter, and run without carbon. I am gonna run both filters for a month.

Please check my carbon vs no carbon thread.

Thanks alot guys!

QP

Back
Top Bottom