swordtails sucking on flying fox ?? :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got up just after reading some forums on AA.com to find my 2 female swordtails going up to my flying fox and sucking on it. at first i thought they might be attacking it, but from closer inspection there are no bite marks or damage to the flying fox's scales. any ideas as to whats going on. it could be they are trying to rid him of an infection, but there is no visible abnormalities.

if you have any ideas as to whats happening, please leave me a message or reply to this thread :)

I'd check that flying fox for some kind of parasite. If there's no bugs and no damage, I wouldn't worry. Fish do weird things all the time.

I know some fish will actually latch on to smaller moving fish, but I think it would be the other way around. As in your flying fox would be the one sucking on other fish! I think it was plecos that I read will suck the slime coat off of smaller fish. Not sure though just an educated guess. But that still doesn't answers why the swordtails would be doing it.

Back
Top Bottom