Tahitian Moon Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anybody have any experience using this sand? If not, what would you recommend? I like black sand and I've never used sand before, so a bit worried about it affecting my filter.

I love black sand too. I use black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co. Its cheaper and as for your filter I put a piece of pantyhose over the intake so it wont tear up the impeller !

boadams87 said:
I love black sand too. I use black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co. Its cheaper and as for your filter I put a piece of pantyhose over the intake so it wont tear up the impeller !

Thanks for the tip! I will look into this sand as well :)

I almost bought the Tahitian Moon Sand from Caribsea. Instead I bought the Caribsea white sand for 2 of my aquariums. Both have worked out very well. I have some going in a Fluval Edge for almost a year now and I haven't had any issues of it screwing my filter. The Edge comes with an AC20. The sand and the impeller in the AC20 are both going on strong. I just added some to my new Half Moon 10g running a Fluval C2, no problems there either.

You should look up the Tahitian Moon Sand in youtube. When I was researching on whether or not to pick some up, I found a bunch of cool inspirational vids from those using the black sand. Still looks pretty nice IMO.

Good luck!

Thanks :) I did look it up on YouTube and it gave me some great ideas! I would have never thought of looking for videos of sand, so thank you for that :)

I've used it, didn't bother my filters any. Just rinse rinse rinse before you put it in. Even so it may be cloudy in the tank for a few hours but it should clear up.

Thanks guys :) trying see if I can order it in, but not looking good so far.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Why is it not looking good? Where do you live? I picked mine up at Petsmart. If you have to order it online, try Dr Fosters & Smith

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9805+21432&pcatid=21432

and I also saw a bag on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011ZYH9S?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1

Goods luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Sydney. Im getting a quote on some black silica sand at the moment, but may have to look into buying online. Might be cheaper! :) I think i would prefer the Tahitian though.

Lycie said:
Sydney. Im getting a quote on some black silica sand at the moment, but may have to look into buying online. Might be cheaper! :) I think i would prefer the Tahitian though.

Oh.. Thought you were in the US. That's why I read thinking how could you possibly have a hard time finding it? LOL... now I know mate!

Brian_Nano12g said:
Oh.. Thought you were in the US. That's why I read thinking how could you possibly have a hard time finding it? LOL... now I know mate!

Hehe, yes I figured out pretty quickly that this was a US forum when everyone was talking in gallons and I had never heard of the products or shop names :) but still loads of help either way!

Back
Top Bottom