Taking a step at a time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SchnauzerGr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I took the first step yesterday and I bought my aquarium.... I wanted a small aquarium with good filter so I went and bought a Hailea aquarium 60 ltrs
It has
Under gravel filter
Build in 3 stage filter
Lights
Stereo spray bar

I also purchased
Safe water start
An 100 ltrs fluval heater
And
Prime anticloron

Next stop
The tests, gravel, and some fish food because I'm going to prepare my aquarium with the food method

I'm still not sure what fish I'm going to have so ill keep myself busy with the nitrogen cycle for a month or so until I deside

Watch out with the under gravel filter. I heard a lot of people saying it breaks down after a year or so as it get's clogged or something in the sort. Just saying.
Good Luck With you're tank and cycling:)

crossroads....

well i curently having some conserns
the guy i bought the aquarium from told me that if i want to keep the bottom filter i must not put sand in the aquarium or the plants specific soil. if i want to do either of them i should close the hole that cerculates the water from the bottom and not put the bottom filter....
so what should i do? isnt it better to have as many filters as possible?

i was thinking to put real plants in the aquarium but to do so i must remove the bottom filter...
i could keep it and only put gravel and put tablets near the plants roots but will it work?

i also have some conserns about real plants things like algie or snail infestation i have seen in varius aquariums problems have troubled me....
but plastic plants are bad and fake staff are also bad so i m a bit in a crossroad that all point in the real life plants but im afraid that i may face problems that will overwelm me...

your opinions?

PS sorry about my crappy english i hope im not that bad.

When beginning it can seem quite overwhelming but once you get going you'll see its really not that difficult. I have planted tanks & a couple with fake, my caves are all man made. Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea, the 1st two are 10g tanks & the last is a 46g.

image-2132446218.jpg
Real plants

image-1849926463.jpg
Silk & plastic plants

image-3604335787.jpg
Real plants

The amount of Filtration somewhat depends on how you plan to stock your tank. I have Bettas & they prefer less water movement & are not messy fish; they have a low bio load so I have sponge filters. On my 46g tank I run a canister filter. I would leave out the under gravel filter & go with an HOB (hang on back) if I were you because I think in the long run you'll be happier & have less problems.

UG filters are really outdated and don't really "filter" anything at all so I would just get rid of it either way. They are just going to be a pain down the road. I keep all planted tanks, here is a pic of my 60g...things have grown since this pic though.

ibk13qr94DmxZh.jpg

A way to prevent snail and algae is dipping the plants in H2O2 before planting in the tank. Also, you will need proper lighting if you want live plants, and substrate. Lots of factors go into this lol! If I were you I would go with a HOB like Shellieca said. The AquaClear 30 should work well on a tank of this size.

Back
Top Bottom