Tank almost cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ammon 3ppm
Nitrites 2ppm
Nitrates 7ppm

Just did a large water change. What do you guys think?

Ammon 3ppm
Nitrites 2ppm
Nitrates 7ppm

Just did a large water change. What do you guys think?

Your tank is cycled when you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. You'll always have some nitrAtes IMO. So... Your getting there.

It's a ten gallon. I'm using oscomote pellets and decaying plant matter for ammo sources

No I haven't I usually just cycle for a month and half to 2 months. Test my water then if there's no trites or ammo and low trates I drop the fish in

No I haven't I usually just cycle for a month and half to 2 months. Test my water then if there's no trites or ammo and low trates I drop the fish in

I'd wait a little while, you don't wanna see nitrites. NitrAtes are good.

Hi,
have you tested you're tap water? That seems like a lot of ammonia and nitrite compared to the nitrates. I would assume you're over ''feeding'' on the ammonia, and I would let it just settle for a day or two and calculate how much ammonia is transformed into nitrites, and the same from nitrites to nitrates. Watch out for decaying plant matter as they are known to produce a lot of toxins and waste, so you might overdose on that. It does seem as if you're close though. Keep it up and you should be soon done. As for adding the fish, as convict said, you should wait. You want to wait until you're ammonia and nitrites test at 0-0,25 at most for at least a period of 7 Days. You should be seeing signs of higher nitrates, and change the water if it ever goes over 40-60. A final water change of 90% when done cycling is recommended.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Perhaps. That's why I took out a bunch of the dead plant matter.

As for my cycle i'm gonna keep watching it and check out how parameters are going.

Any ideas on what kind of fish I should drop in there?

Perhaps. That's why I took out a bunch of the dead plant matter.

As for my cycle i'm gonna keep watching it and check out how parameters are going.

Any ideas on what kind of fish I should drop in there?
Good thing to do:)
What type of fish are you looking for? You could go with platties, mollies, tetras, barbs, and some other livebearers. Sword tails are also a nice type of fish. Maybe telling us you're preferences and we could help you.

I love cichlids. I want to add shelldwellers. I just can't find any. Perhaps some guppies?

I'm split between that or a planted tank

Back
Top Bottom