Tank change - parameter worry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
[edit:] deleted this thread.
I was testing the water before the filter had a chance to start distributing the bacteria.

Last edited:
Probably from the new water if your tap water has .25 ammonia already. The bacteria should process it fairly quickly. Once you finish using your current dechlorinator, try switching to Prime. It's more concentrated so you'll use less. What filter do you have on the new tank? For a tank that large a canister might be a better way to go.

Another way to combat a tap water ammonia issue is buy getting a couple plants like Water sprite, wisteria, and stem plants. These plants just suck up excess nutrients in the water and will really help your problem. Water Sprite is one of the best choices in my opinion. It will do fine in a sand substrate and will grow under most lighting. Another option is to use RO water mixed with tap water to lower the amount of ammonia your adding to your tank with each WC.

Thanks LibraryGirl.
I just realized that I WAS TESTING NEW WATER, and that the filter hadn't started distributing the bacteria yet. So I've deleted my original post.

FWIW, It's an AquaClear 70. It's rated at 300gal/hr and should suffice. For now i've got the media from my old pair of AquaClear 20s squished into the '70 as well.
I hadn't thought of using a canister instead, i'll keep that in mind if this doesn't do the trick.
Prime, good call.

Cheers.

Another way to combat a tap water ammonia issue is buy getting a couple plants like Water sprite, wisteria, and stem plants. These plants just suck up excess nutrients in the water and will really help your problem. Water Sprite is one of the best choices in my opinion. It will do fine in a sand substrate and will grow under most lighting. Another option is to use RO water mixed with tap water to lower the amount of ammonia your adding to your tank with each WC.
Thanks Rivercats.
For some reason i didn't see this post last time i wrote.
I had a couple of live plants in my last tank, and after I set up the 50 gallon I added a bunch more.
Now i've got 3 Wisterias, 3 Amazon Swords, and 2 Cryptocoryne crispatula's. I'm also waterlogging a big piece of driftwood. Once that's in the tank i'll be adding some more.

Live plants look much better, as well as helping the water quality.

Back
Top Bottom