Tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just acquired a 2nd hand tank and it is in desperate need of a scrub down and thorough clean. Any tips for doing this?

I've heard Milton sterilising fluid could be used, but I'm a bit nervous about using it unless it has some long term effect on my BIo-bacteria further down the line when it's all set up.

I am assuming its empty right now? Vinegar & water solution with a thorough rinsing is cheap & safe option.

I've got the last bit of gravel to take out, but more or less empty.

Thanks, I will give this a try

Yes vinegar and water should work. And I'm pretty sure it's safer than bleach and other cleaning chemicals. Nevertheless, be sure to rinse it well after.

Vinegar is the best IMO. If there are water marks/stains you can soak a paper towel in it and leave it on the marks for a couple of hours to remove the really tough ones.

To be honest the glass looks pretty clean. Just concerned about any nasties that might harm my fish. I have very little history about the tank, as I bought it off eBay.

I will give vinegar a try.

Bleach is the best thing for cleaning a tank, as it will loosen any biofilm , visible or otherwise. As well, it will sterilize and is not persistent when rinsed off. For mineral deposits, vinegar works well to soften them for easier removal.

Back
Top Bottom