Tank cleaning and stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahMichelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently dug out my parents old 80 gallon hexagon tank that hasnt been used in probably around 20 years, needless to say it needs work.

Today I cleaned all the old gravel out and Ive resealed it. So now im looking for something heavy duty that Ill be able to clean the acrylic with. It used to be a salt water tank and was never cleaned on properly after the last use so there is still some residue.

Im also looking for some ideas of what to stock the tank with in a couple weeks after its all clean and up and running. The last time it was a freshwater tank my parents had a Oscar in it. Ive had Oscars before but this time Im I think Id rather have a lot of little fish than 1 or 2 big fish. The only fish i have right now in another tank is a pleco which will be moved to this tank once its up so im open to just about anything that will work with my pleco.

These are just some of the fish I came across at work that I liked:
Orange Sailfin Molly, (Red)Dalmatian Sailfin Molly, Boesemani Rainbow, Red Swordtail and Panda Cory.

With an 80g tank I'm happy to tell you that there are so many possibilities in making your own unique community of fishies! First thing I would focus on though is the IMO, not-so-fun parts like actually waiting for the tank to cycle to get BB to colonize in your filter media. Also, to figure out which species would thrive in your tank you have to decide what kind of tank you want. Brackish? A dirted tank? Plastic decorations or real/natural ones? Sand, gravel, dirt, substrate (ex: ecocomplete), or a combination? All these factors play an important role in having a beautifully healthy tank! :D As far as stocking goes (I would make it planted If I had one) I would have large schools of tetras (neons, glowlights, rummynose, black skirt, serpaes, the list goes on!) and would consider putting "stars" of the tank to balance it out (fish that are larger and independent) and have a variety of sizes and behaviors. For instance, it's a big caution because of aggression, but the "star" of some of my tanks in the past have been rainbow sharks and they never bothered the tetras (and are adorable and clever little things!). I don't know much about swordtails but they are beautiful! The pandas are adorable but if you want loaches too I would be a little cautious as there have been incidents of territorial competition. On the bright side it probably wouldn't matter since you have such a large tank. I would definitely recommend Boesemani rainbows as I have 2 of them and they are very beautiful fish! The mollies are fun fish too but breed like there's no tomorrow but if you're up for that jazz go and get some! I hope you found this reply helpful! BUT remember to always always alwaysssss do tons of research on whatever your not familiar with and make decisions from there. I would love to see pictures of the progress! Hope everything goes smoothly for you! :D Bai!

Wow, it's an old tank... I can't even find the dimensions on it :)

I would honestly look at resealing the entire tank. After sitting that long the seals on it just aren't trustworthy anymore.

To clean it, you can use vinegar and elbow grease. A razor blade is amazing here, but don't use anything scratchy or else you will damage the glass.

As for fish, I have to disagree with the boesemani rainbows. They really do need 4ft of lateral swimming space. The shape of that tank limits you a lot in what you can do with it. I wouldnt put a fish in there that needs more than 30g tbh.

SarahMichelle..
If you happen to find something to clean the Acrylic without scratching, I'd be happy to hear!! I have an older tank as well that is an endtable.. and it's acrylic as well, there's some buildup (outside of the water lines) that I've tried using a Norwex E Cloth and elbow grease which has gotten it a little lighter, but nowhere near clean.

I didn't see the acrylic part, definitely don't use a razor blade. Vinegar and an acrylic algae scraper should do the trick.

It really is an old tank. I'm guessing around 30 years old. It's missing a top so I'm probably going to need to have a new one custom built.

I've already resealed it and now I'm in the process of filling it with water. I'm only putting a couple gallons in a day, marking it and then letting it sit for at least 24 hours before putting more in it just to make sure that it's properly sealed.

As far as decor goes I haven't decided. I'm thinking maybe sand and fake plants (im not really into live plants). I'm not really sure yet. I'm just going to decide what fish I want then match the environment to the fish.

The tank is not even have way filled right now so I still have a while to think about fish and figure out which ones will work well together.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Oh and I don't have the measurements on the tank right now but here's a pic of it before I did anything to it
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421983565.239242.jpg

It really is an old tank. I'm guessing around 30 years old. It's missing a top so I'm probably going to need to have a new one custom built.

I've already resealed it and now I'm in the process of filling it with water. I'm only putting a couple gallons in a day, marking it and then letting it sit for at least 24 hours before putting more in it just to make sure that it's properly sealed.

As far as decor goes I haven't decided. I'm thinking maybe sand and fake plants (im not really into live plants). I'm not really sure yet. I'm just going to decide what fish I want then match the environment to the fish.

The tank is not even have way filled right now so I still have a while to think about fish and figure out which ones will work well together.

I strongly suggest looking into the Diana Walstad method. It is about dirted tanks but using the techniques she explains in her book (ecology of the planted aquarium) you can get it to a point where there is little maintenance because the plants act as a filter in a way. A couple YouTubers explain it and its really cool. Im actually getting her book sent to my local library so I can check it out! Or if you have money (unlike me xD) you can just buy it. That is if your curious about a planted tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom