Tank gone crazy after fry dropin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I started tank for my kids few weeks ago(tank was set up and cycled for about a week or so before Easter day when fish were added). So far tank has been up and down but overall decent (had some issues with ammonia for about 4 days but tablets quickly fixed it). Thus far I have only been using test strips, but plan to go get the api master test kit tomorrow. So to my problem, My son picked out a pregnant Dalmatian molly. Monday she pop'd out about 25 fry. We decided not to use breeding net as we didn't wanna start another tank just yet. So let me tell you i didnt know it would become shark week in that small 10g tank. Well now I have done a 20% pwc 3 times this week and still all my test readings have been in or past the danger zone. Three of the fish in the tank now seem to have developed fin rot quite badly in what seemed like over night (this was tuesday night into Wednesday). :facepalm:
Anyways other than melafix and an api master test it anyone have any suggestions for me.

Also so other than the fact that it would have been great having more fish should i have not let fish be eaten for health reasons??:confused:

Also so other than the fact that it would have been great having more fish should i have not let fish be eaten for health reasons??

Nope. That won't cause health problems unless the adults overeat on the fry.

Three of the fish in the tank now seem to have developed fin rot quite badly in what seemed like over night

If the water has been kept clean, it probably isn't fin rot.

You may need to either do massive water changes daily until the ammonia/nitrites disappear. The damage to your fish could be from ammonia poisoning.

It sounds like you either overwhelmed the benefial bacteria in the tank by stocking too quickly or your test strips were giving you inaccurate readings of 0 and the tank may not have been actually fully cycled when you began adding fish.

I'd really recommend toss the test strips and get a liquid drop test kit like the API Master. It will give you more accurate results.

And good luck with this :)

I'd really recommend toss the test strips and get a liquid drop test kit like the API Master. It will give you more accurate results.

And good luck with this :)
thanks for the advice

Going to go get the API kit tomorrow morning so will see accurate numbers tomorrow.

Let us know your results and how everyone in the tank is tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom