Tank Heater Advice/Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a few hours I'm going to buy glofish (at least that's my plan).
I'm also going to buy a heater.

I was wondering if it would be okay to start heating the water the same day I buy the fish (basically, I'll float the fish's bag as I install the heater, or I'll install the heater after I put the fish in my tank).

But I'm thinking this might be too harsh for the fish.
So should I just buy the heater today and buy the fish a different day?
Also, can you recommend a good, less-expensive heater?

you should fishless cycle and you should have the heater at the heat you want it before adding fish. what size tank is this? look up the almost complete fishless cycling process on here before doing anything.

you should fishless cycle and you should have the heater at the heat you want it before adding fish. what size tank is this? look up the almost complete fishless cycling process on here before doing anything.
I've already fishless cycled. That's why I'm buying fish now.
It's a 20 gallon.

Voila! Link is in my signature :)

*Edit- whoops! Congratulations on your cycle.

Try to set the temperature in the right range before adding fish. I believe Danios are happy around 74.

what are your paramters and a 20 gallon is perfect for these fish i also agree get the temp right b4 adding fish

The ambient temperature of the room the tank is in may already be pretty close to the temp you want for the tank this time of year. It shouldn't take long for the tank to hit the desired temp. I see fishies in the very near future for you :)

The ambient temperature of the room the tank is in may already be pretty close to the temp you want for the tank this time of year. It shouldn't take long for the tank to hit the desired temp. I see fishies in the very near future for you :)
Oh, so a heater isn't really necessary for glofish?

allaboutfish said:
as long as your house stays above 70 i dont think they need one

You need a heater for any tropical fish, including glofish. Fish need a pretty constant temperature and without a heater you won't get that.

I just bought the heater and a thermometer.. But apparently the water is 80 degrees -_-
So how am I supposed to lower the temperature?

WoopAhhhh said:
Oh, so a heater isn't really necessary for glofish?

I didn't mean they aren't necessary, I only meant that since the room and water are probably already warm. It wouldn't take long to heat the tank to the desired temp.

The heater must be set too high. Unless the room is 80, there's no reason the tank would be.

I didn't mean they aren't necessary, I only meant that since the room and water are probably already warm. It wouldn't take long to heat the tank to the desired temp.

The heater must be set too high. Unless the room is 80, there's no reason the tank would be.
But I haven't actually heated the water yet. It was 80 when I got home and checked it. I'm thinking it's due to my tank light.

WoopAhhhh said:
But I haven't actually heated the water yet. It was 80 when I got home and checked it. I'm thinking it's due to my tank light.

Could be. What type of lighting do you have? Are you using one of those little sticker thermometers or a glass one?

My ten gallon tanks stay 80 with the light on. Ive been leaving the light off with the heater set so the temp don't drop to low at night.

Back
Top Bottom