Tank lid on or off during fish-less cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oddness87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fellow AA members with experience in fish-less cycling,

I am currently in the midst of cycling my first tank (45gal) and am awaiting the growth of bb in my fish-less cycle.

In my research, I had read that without filter media from an already established tank, I am basically waiting for the bacteria to enter my tank from its surroundings as this bacteria naturally occurs in tiny colonies on most surfaces.

If this is the case, would it be more beneficial for me to leave my hood open as opposed to keeping it closed during this process to increase the probability the bacteria may find its way to my tank and begin multiplying gloriously?

Just some food for thought while I am waiting for my tank to cycle.

I don't think it matters. I've never seen any valid arguments for or against. I fishless cycled with my lid on and so have many others. The bacteria are microscopic, I'm sure they'll find their way in there. ;)

Fair enough, just the scientist coming out in me while I stare at my fish-less tank haha

lol I understand, believe me. I think I tried the same thing when I was cycling just to see if it sped things up. It didn't seem to . But hey if you're bored go for it. Also if you need seeded media, angelsplus sells "active" seeded sponge filters from their fish tanks. I've used them to help cycle and so have many on here. If you get one just make sure it says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

lol I understand, believe me. I think I tried the same thing when I was cycling just to see if it sped things up. It didn't seem to . But hey if you're bored go for it. Also if you need seeded media, angelsplus sells "active" seeded sponge filters from their fish tanks. I've used them to help cycle and so have many on here. If you get one just make sure it says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look into it, I also found a family friend with a tank and I'm exercising my persuasion skills to borrow some media from them.

lol Also if you need seeded media, angelsplus sells "active" seeded sponge filters from their fish tanks. I've used them to help cycle and so have many on here. If you get one just make sure it says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

I'm also doing a fishless cycle currently, about 4 days since I did my first dosing of ammonia (pure, ACE brand). This sounds like an awesome solution to speed things up, but I already have a HOB filter (aquaclear 70) and no kind of air system/bubbler in my tank. Would these sponges work if I crammed part or all of it into the HOB filter I have? I just have the sponge and bio filter part in it, I took out the carbon section.

I tried searching on the forum to see if I could find more information from people who have used the active sponges from angelsplus, but I didn't come up with hardly any posts about it. Is there any other advice or things I should know if I decide to order from this company?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I was excited to hear that there is a purchasable active sponge. I'm having no luck finding filter media; everyone I know with a tank has some kind of issue or no media to give!

Back
Top Bottom