tank lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00steppie00

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a new tank today and it has day and night lights, I know your not supposed to leave the lights on all night but can you with the night lighting?

So I got a new tank today and it has day and night lights, I know your not supposed to leave the lights on all night but can you with the night lighting?

You can, but you run the risk of causing an algae problem, and unsettling fish that like to have total darkness. I have dark blue LEDs which I turn on for a couple of hours at night so I can see some if my nocturnal fish, but they are not really active until all the tank lights are off.

I did up turning it off, it seemed like it was freaking my fish out haha. One more question, happen to know any tricks to making a new Bio wheel filter more quite? It is so loud I am half tempted to put my whisper filter back.

I did up turning it off, it seemed like it was freaking my fish out haha. One more question, happen to know any tricks to making a new Bio wheel filter more quite? It is so loud I am half tempted to put my whisper filter back.

Sorry, I wouldn't even know what a bio wheel is.

make sure the impeller is seated properly..sometimes they don't come seated all the way in from the factory...they also need time to "break in" mine was loud at first but it's quiet now...for the most part :)

and yes don't leave the "moonlight" on all night i did and had a massive algae spike....i then bought my own glass top and lights after that...didn't care for the LED's the kit came with

Re: the biowheel...you can also put a *very* thin layer of vaseline jelly (the plain stuff, no additives or scents, and not the lotion) on the magnet. After doing that twice in 3 months on my 2 Penguin 200s, it is completely silent.

Back
Top Bottom