Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RinkaNinjaGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 25G freshwater tank:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405269566.934840.jpg
With a juvie angelfish and a DG, I was wondering what tank mates I could get to live with that pairing and tank size? Due to poor information I originally bought 2 of the DGs, male, but had to sell one and I just thought the tank could maybe do with something else? It's cycled and has had just these two for about a month now, it has some plants and a few decorations that I could move for more space if needed :) sorry if it's long, thanks XD

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was wondering though about a species that wouldn't fin nip, get eaten or become aggressive if you have any ideas? Sorry I'm a newbie this is my first proper tank XD would female platies get along with them? :)

Have gone through a similar situation. Zebra danios and corydoras (not pygmaeus - might get angel eaten) all the way! Definitely not serpae tetras! They were little buggers in my tank.

No worries. Hopefully others jump in on the conversation to offer more options (like Harlequin Rasboras!) from their experiences. Those species are just hardy (mostly) and what I like. Have fun...

Cardinal tetras would work great. Harlequin rasbora are nice fish as well. Mollies and platies are some good livebearers.

Here are some options

Cherry barbs
Harlequin rasboras
Glowlight tetras
Corys
Hatchets
Platies
Guppies
Mollies

Cardinals are colorful, but could be expensive if you get a school. I like hatchets but have lost a few. :(

absolutely no small tetras (such as neon)!!! My angelfish just discovered that they enjoyed neon tetra, and in a week, ate three. Tiger barbs are out, since they will chew up the angels. mollies would be fine, or a red tailed black shark if you are willing to upsize a little (30, 35 gallons).

The Angel, a few tetras, and a small pleco would max out a 25g.

What is a DG?

Ok, not much experience with them but I've seen and read about them. With the Angel reaching 5-6", a pair of Dwarf or Honey Gouramis may be a better focal point. A school of the above mentioned fish would also compliment them better.

The dwarf gourami can't live with other dwarf gouramis :/ that's why I'm looking for something just not too big nice hardy and not too small or else is just have 2 fish in the tank XD thanks for the advice :D I think I may get just 3 cardinal tetras as they've been advised the most :)

Probably in a larger tank it would be possible but I've kept Honey Gouramis in a similar sized tank with Platys with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom