Tank mates for betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a crown tail Betta and a Mexican orange crayfish. What else can I put in so they can get along. Also something my crayfish won't eat, I want snails but sounds like a bad match....any ideas?

Well, some Bettas are more peaceful than others, so what may work out for one person may not work out for you. All depends on the Betta! :) If you what other fish, I would try some fast fish like Neon Tetras. Just don't buy fish that look like the Betta. Also Neons need to be kept in schools.

Last edited:
some general rules for betta tank mates: nothing nippy, nothing with long flowing fins like another betta, no other bettas. But like redsea mentioned betta personalities vary greatly :) good luck

Thx for the fast response! I already have some neons in another tank, I've heard endlers were good by doing research online but my LFS said they harass bettas so that's a no. How about some bottom dwellers shrimp,snails something the crayfish won't eat something diff. Since I already have corys and loaches. Any one recommend RCS? I wanted ghost shrimp but again the LFS I got to said the Betta would prob snack on them.

Thx for the fast response! I already have some neons in another tank, I've heard endlers were good by doing research online but my LFS said they harass bettas so that's a no. How about some bottom dwellers shrimp,snails something the crayfish won't eat something diff. Since I already have corys and loaches. Any one recommend RCS? I wanted ghost shrimp but again the LFS I got to said the Betta would prob snack on them.

bettas are a gamble, some will eat shrimp and some won't i would test with cheapo shrimps like ghost which are like $0.30 each. they are fine with most bottom feeders, but again, none of this is concrete, depends on if you get a docile or aggressive betta

Sharkbait54 said:

I have my betta with a platy, 5 endlers and 6 ghost shrimp and no one has been killed:). In another tank I have a Betta and cories because he eats the shrimp. It all depends on the betta.

Both of you are absolutely right I think I might try some since I've heard they are good cleaners and they are cheap ;) how about red cherry shrimp what's your take on them. I'm probably also gonna get another Mexican orange crayfish since they look so cool.

rcs have a great color! if your betta doesn't eat them then its going to be great :)

Ya they do I might get some of them how many is good for a 10g. I wish I could get shrimp but I've heard horror stories about them taking over tanks and the fact that the M.O crayfish might eat them :(

i would start with like 3-5 so see how things go, if it goes well, maybe 8-10?

I tested out with 6 ghost shrimp with my betta, all are still around I believe. Ghost shrimp are notoriously awesome at hiding, so it takes patience to count them all XD

I know! I love how transparent they are. One of nature's best camouflage forms.

I hope their not brackish LFS had them in a freshwater and didn't advise me otherwise. Plus I can't find much of them on the interwebs any links would be appreciated. Actually when I bout him he was muchin on a fish but the Betta is way to big to be eatin.

Back
Top Bottom