Tank Product Necessities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizukan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've attached an image of all the products I have so far. Since I'm still really new to this I don't really know which products are good/proper usage/and missing ones I should have on hand. I'm currently cycling my tank again and I hear a lot about Seachem Prime, unless I already have something here that works the same? I'm ordering the API Freshwater master test kit since I don't really trust the test strips. So wondering if there's anything else I should get while I'm at it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 58
The Kordon plus water conditioner is the only one you really need if your tank is cycled and you're maintaining water quality with regular water changes. Prime does the same thing. I would not spend money on any other products, other than perhaps the test kit. If you can return the rest of them, do so and invest in getting a good aquarium maintenance and cleaning kit (siphon, vacuum etc). I've had aquariums for years and never lost a fish because I didn't use off-the-shelf chemicals. They usually do more harm than good because it gives you the sense that you can be more lax with your water changes when in reality that's what the fishes need. As an analogy, imagine sitting in a room with a really smelly trash can and you're given an air freshener week on week to take care of the smell. The air freshener may temporarily mask the smell, but the only way to make the room healthy is to get rid of the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Kordon plus water conditioner is the only one you really need if your tank is cycled and you're maintaining water quality with regular water changes. Prime does the same thing. I would not spend money on any other products, other than perhaps the test kit. If you can return the rest of them, do so and invest in getting a good aquarium maintenance and cleaning kit (siphon, vacuum etc). I've had aquariums for years and never lost a fish because I didn't use off-the-shelf chemicals. They usually do more harm than good because it gives you the sense that you can be more lax with your water changes when in reality that's what the fishes need. As an analogy, imagine sitting in a room with a really smelly trash can and you're given an air freshener week on week to take care of the smell. The air freshener may temporarily mask the smell, but the only way to make the room healthy is to get rid of the trash.

Thank you :) Yes I'm afraid of putting in more harm to my fish than necessary so thank you for letting me know. The others were either free samples or gifts so I guess I'll just keep them though I will take note not to use them unless necessary. When doing small water changes, do I still need to use the water conditioner? If there is another thread on properly doing water changes I will go ahead and look that up.

And yes, I was thinking the same about the siphon...what size would be ok for a 10 gallon tank? Some people have told me the Aqueon mini/5" siphon should work fine until I can invest on better items...

I saw that pic of all the crap someone told you that you would need. So sad when stores take advantage of someone who is just getting started. I hope you can return some of it and keep the $$$ for fish!

Back
Top Bottom