Tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arturo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm new here and I want to start a 5 gallon tank but first I need to know what type of fish I can fit please if you can help I'm open to suggestions

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Welcome! With a 5 gallon, your fish choices are very limited, and even very small fish would not be very happy. A betta might work... However, invertebrates such as cherry shrimp and snails would be great, and African dwarf frogs can do well in smaller tanks.

Another thing you could do with a 5 gallon is have it be plants only and do some really nice aquascaping. But I'm guessing you are really excited to have live animals in there. ?

I just read the book "The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species" by Denaro and O'Leary. That's a good place to start. It explains how to keep a nano tank; 5 gallon aquariums are nano!
If ur new to the hobby, the smaller the aquarium the harder they are to keep healthy. The small volume leaves very little margin for error.
I would add a fish per week. No more that 4-5 fish total (including catfish).
Ur best bet is to buy a 30 gallon and learn from it.
A small tank is not impossible, just harder.
Good luck!

Thank you for the advise I hope it goes well

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Betta
Celestial pearl danios
Chilli rasboras
Scarlet badis
Dwarf pufferfish
Thai micro crabs
Cherry shrimp
Blueberry shrimp
Crystal shrimp
Bee shrimp
Rili shrimp

Except for the betta and dwarf pufferfish, you could probably mix a small group of one group of fish mentioned and one shrimp or crab species.

I love the above list but, but most of those aren't exactly beginner friendly.
Some Rasoboras and RCS would look great in it, but you'll want to have it planted I believe. A lot of the micros require it to actually show their colors. That would also give you a chance to really make it stunning with live plants.
..Are you new to aquariums or just nanos? That would make a difference.
A Betta and a few African Dwarf frogs is probably one of the best possibilities if you're just starting out.

I would say a Betta. I believe ADF need 10g for better filtration.

If you want tiny fish, Live plants are a must to help them feel secure and as was said, to bring out the color. I have black backgrounds on my tank and plenty of plants so my nano fish are happier.

I would not mix fish with a Betta in a 5 gallon. I have put ghost shrimp in with a Betta with success.

My HMPK lived in a planted 5g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424811024.404063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ghost shrimp have always become lunch for my Bettas. Maybe when I do a well planted 10 for a Betta and ADFs I'll try them together again.

Back
Top Bottom