Tank readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I used tetra safe start to do a fish in cycle. I added the entire bottle of TSS. The next day I started to have a small pink nitrate reading, 0 nitrites and 1-2 PPM ammonia. These readings have stayed the same for the last 3 days or so. They say to let it work and not do PWC unless the ammonia gets really high, but that the tank should eventually cycle. I was wondering if I just missed the nitrite spike between water tests possibly. Anyways, if the ammonia doesn't go down I was wanting to do a PWC, but you can't use conditioner with TSS or it will kill the bacteria? So do I just add 10 ML of TSS and do a 25% PWC if I don't see the ammonia drop in this next week? Or should I just add another bottle of TSS, some people said it worked the second time for them.

So I used tetra safe start to do a fish in cycle. I added the entire bottle of TSS. The next day I started to have a small pink nitrate reading, 0 nitrites and 1-2 PPM ammonia. These readings have stayed the same for the last 3 days or so. They say to let it work and not do PWC unless the ammonia gets really high, but that the tank should eventually cycle. I was wondering if I just missed the nitrite spike between water tests possibly. Anyways, if the ammonia doesn't go down I was wanting to do a PWC, but you can't use conditioner with TSS or it will kill the bacteria? So do I just add 10 ML of TSS and do a 25% PWC if I don't see the ammonia drop in this next week? Or should I just add another bottle of TSS, some people said it worked the second time for them.

I am going to be completely honest with you. I am not trying to be rude or anything I was in your place before. The bacteria in a bottle is truly hit or miss mainly miss in my opinion and that of the majority of the members of this forum.

Most people preach a fish-less cycle only. I don't think it's the only way I've done very successful fish-ins also

What you need to do first is forget everything the store told you. You should test your water everyday if there is any ammonia do a 25-50% pwc this will not kill all your bacteria, it mainly lives in the filter. So do not clean out your filter.

I would treat the water on every pwc I suggest prime it also detoxifies the ammonia. Usually in a couple weeks everything should be properly cycled

Well I read online on another forum I found on goggle some where not to use prime cause it does kill the ammonia an the bacteria need to eat the ammonia? Is there another conditioner that is compatible with the TSS and won't detoxify the ammonia?

I've never read that I honestly don't know hopefully someone else on here has the knowledge to help . Plus it doesn't kill the ammonia it just changes it into something less harmful to fish . It has always worked for me and the people I know, unlike the TSS which I've never seen or heard working

Prime does not kill ammonia or nitrites. It helps to convert it to a less lethal form, but one that your bb in the filter can still process just fine. Prime is probably the gold standard IMO of water conditioner/dechlorinators. It is concentrated, therefore more economical than most. OS.

Prime does not kill ammonia or nitrites. It helps to convert it to a less lethal form, but one that your bb in the filter can still process just fine. Prime is probably the gold standard IMO of water conditioner/dechlorinators. It is concentrated, therefore more economical than most. OS.

Thanks OS I thought I was right.

So today I got a liquid test kit and come to find out the ammonia is low .25 and 0 nitites and nitrates were 20+. Its been about a week after adding the TSS and I do believe it has finally worked. I did a 25-50% water change today and all is good.

Some tanks never show absolutely zero ammo. Some will. As long as it is never above .25, it may be you are seeing the tiny amount that is feeding your bb. It could be in your tap. Do all the tests on your tap water. Put about 2 cups in a clean container, let sit overnight, then test. Write this down. This is your baseline. Now enjoy. OS.

Back
Top Bottom