Tank Set; Fishless Cycling Begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry...another cycling question :)

I set up a 20g with natural colored smaller sized gravel and seeded it with some ceramic material from a smaller 10 gallon. I filled it with spring water and it has been running since Friday (3 June); ammonia test last night showed a scant .25 ppm.

I managed, after 5 stores and two online searches, to locate pure ammonia and last night, added 4 eye droppers full, testing after allowing the filter to circulate things for 30 minutes in between each addition. Even after 4 additions, I was still only reading about 1-2 ppm. I left it at that just because I was afraid to add anymore. I didn't test this morning to see if there was simply a time delay but will test when I get home this aftrenoon, which will put it at about 24 hours.

Thinking ahead, I did empty the filter prior to adding the ammonia since I had ammonia remover media in there prior. After finishing for the night, I replaced the sponge that came with the filter to help with colonization.

Maybe not a question so much as, am I on the right track with this?

Hi! I'm still learning too and doing a fishless cycle. My first question is what are you using to test the water? If you're using strips, they are often very inaccurate. I would get a good liquid test kit like the API Master kit. I have a 12 gal and it takes very little for the ammonia to shoot up to 4, so I'm wondering if your test kit is faulty. Also just out of curiosity, why are you using spring water?

Also do you have a heater in the tank? Heat helps bacteria grow, it should be at least 80 degrees F , I've read about 85 degrees F is best. Also if you have an air stone that would also help oxygenate the water and help the bacteria.

Good luck!

Hi! I'm still learning too and doing a fishless cycle. My first question is what are you using to test the water? If you're using strips, they are often very inaccurate. I would get a good liquid test kit like the API Master kit. I have a 12 gal and it takes very little for the ammonia to shoot up to 4, so I'm wondering if your test kit is faulty. Also just out of curiosity, why are you using spring water?

Also do you have a heater in the tank? Heat helps bacteria grow, it should be at least 80 degrees F , I've read about 85 degrees F is best. Also if you have an air stone that would also help oxygenate the water and help the bacteria.

Good luck!

I am using the API master kit; have never used strips :)

I used spring water because the water in my area is very hard and the "natural" pH runs 7.8. The spring water has a pH of 7.2. I am working on getting my RO unit back up..I need a new cartridge, but until then I work, or will work, water changes with the spring water.

Temp is steady at 83 for now and the filter I am using is about three times the size of what is recommended for flow rate. I keep the tank level down about 2 inches so the splashing off the filter is adding a lot of bubbles and general water movement for the gas exchange.

Never thought I would say it but YAY!..I finally have Nitrites!

Tank has been up 10 days now. New parameters:

Ammonia: 4 ppm
Nitrites: .25
Nitrates: 0
pH: 6.4 (added buffer to raise pH) This is strange as last night pH was reading 7.0 but then, lights had been on all day where the lights tonight have only been on about 3 hours. The freshwater is going to be swordtails so raising the pH isn't really an issue right now).
Temp: 85.1.

I didn't have any seeding material so was a little apprehensive about getting any type of bacteria. I added three clusters of Anacharis on Saturday taken from the LFS' plant tank...that may have kicked in the cycle finally.

Except now I have to wait for it to turn blue again :) Who invented these colors????

Back
Top Bottom