tank size suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trigonostigma hengeli is a bright little thing, 15 would be a good number to start with, potentially up to 20.
Danio choprae might be closer to what you want because they're more likely to school, again start with 15, potentially go up to 20.
Puntius titteya are a good option if you want something larger, I'd start with 5m 5f or similar, maybe go up to 15.
If you're not too worried about same area/biotope-like, then what about a group of 6 Tateurndina ocellicauda and 10 Pseudomugil mellis?

IMO, tiger barbs with gouramis is usually a bad idea. I agree with Kat that having a decent sized school of them (8 is usuallythe magic number for tiger barbs) helps, but I still don't recommend it.
If you just want some docile schoolers to go with the gourami, there are literally tons of options. :)
Flame (von Rio) tetras are lovely and bright but more relaxed that TB, but they can tear up live plants. Rummy-nose tetras, pristella tetras, cardinals, black neons, and kerri blues are all options. :)

Wow the Pseudomugil mellis are stunning!! But according to wikipedia they are an endangered species so wouldn't they be hard to get hold of? I've looked at peacock gobys before and i like them too. I like the sound of dwarf gouramis, blue eyes and peacock gobys. Would be a very pretty tank. Also what about some of the larger Tetras (black skirts etc) I've read they can be quite nippy too??

I do not suggest skirt tetras with gouramis personally. I have seen them be pretty nasty. Some people have had good experiences with them of course, but I wouldn't do it personally.
If you want gouramis, I would actually suggest honey gouramis or pearl gouramis rather than dg. Sometimes sg can be nasty to each other and bossy to other fish. They also have been really overbred so many of the ones available tend to be weak. Plenty of people keep them without an issue, but its not always the case. Just so you know. :)

I recommend, since you are stocking from scratch, that you consider 10-15 to be a minimum number for any schooling or shoaling species of fish because keeping these species in small numbers isn't really that fair on the fish.

Black skirts are also fine in a group of 10-15+ (in my experience), but may be nippy in smaller groups.

Lots of rainbow species are bred in captivity, you should be able to find that one too.

If you go for a different species of gourami, I consider honeys to be good, but lace gouramis too large for the tank given their potential adult size. Instead of lace gouramis, I would recommend some of the more unusual peaceful species. My experience with dwarf gouramis was quite positive, but they are very sensitive to water quality which, from what I have seen, is why most people's dwarf gouramis have health problems.

Pearl (lace) gouramis only reach about 5 inches (but I usually see adults close to 4 inches). I definitely recommend them for this tank. They are not excessively active, not that big, and much more peaceful than many other gourmai species. I have no problem if you you don't agree. I just don't see why you would suggest 10-15 skirt tetras in that tank but not a couple of pearl gouramis. Again, thats fine that you have different views. To each their own. :) I also agree that dg are sensitive, but I have seen them drop dead in pristine water plenty of times. But, in all fairness, I don't know if the US stock is different. :) And the Op has to see what fish are available and what they are comfortable with.
I also agree that lots of these fish are bred in captivity, so the wild status does not always effect their availability in the aquarium trade, but it all depends on the species. :)

Pearl (lace) gouramis only reach about 5 inches (but I usually see adults close to 4 inches). I definitely recommend them for this tank. They are not excessively active, not that big, and much more peaceful than many other gourmai species. I have no problem if you you don't agree. I just don't see why you would suggest 10-15 skirt tetras in that tank but not a couple of pearl gouramis.
Because of their adult size and potential aggressiveness: I like to see fish have quite a bit of space compared to their size to interact with and I like to see social fish in appropriately sized groups, but (while they're more peaceful than other similar sized gouramis) I have heard of quite a few reports of lace gouramis having.. "disagreements" when kept in smaller tanks. From what I have seen, experienced and heard of this species, I would want to keep a trio or more in a 4 ft tank, but not in anything shorter :)

I am suggesting 10-15 tetras of one species because these (and most other shoaling fish) live in groups of a few hundred to a few million in the wild. I consider 6 to be where the fish go from "one", "two", etc, to "many", but I have always found that 10 or more make a better "many" and the fish act more naturally in larger groups, most likely because they feel more confident and have a selection of their own kind to interact with. Of course, I wouldn't suggest 10 zebra danios because they would be too active, or 10 Congo tetras because they would be too large, but in my experience, black tetras would do well in a tank of these dimensions because of their adult size and activity level.

I was just curious. Like I said, I disagree, but thats fine. Fish keeping yields mulitple results and opinions. In my experience, my 3 inch skirt tetras have many more disputes with other fish than I have ever heard or a 4-5 inch pearl having. I understand your stance though. :)

Anyway, to the OP, do you have an idea of what you would like? Are you still thinking about the 3 species you just mentioned?

Thanks for the tips guys. Lace gouramis look beautiful and I'm definitely going to research them some more. Are all gourami species compatible?? I already have 4 dwarf gouramis so could i add say 4 lace and 4 honey gouramis and they'd all get along of does it not work like that?

It depends. In general, gouramis species don't mix well. In particular, dg tend to be jerky to other gouramis. In a tank the size that you have, IMO 12 gouramis of 3 species would be asking for trouble. The honeys and pearls are more chill than many other gourami species, but that doesn't mean they would necessarily get along with different species. Since you already have the 4 dg, I don't suggest adding anymore gouramis into your tank. :) Thats my opinion though. Living things don't alwys do what we think they should.
Are all 4 of yours males?

No i have 2m and 2f. My its only sells them in m+f pairs. I wasn't going to put 12 in i was just using that as an example but i was hoping to add another 2 or possibly 4 if i could get hold of lace gouramis. I checked on aqadvisor and it said i would be stocked to 87% if i added them to my current set up. I know that site isn't gospel or anything but its usually not bad. I'm also not trying to say your wrong or anything

Lol, sorry, I didn't realize it was a hypothetical. :)
Since you have pairs, I definitely wouldn't try adding the pearls. :) Male dg can get pretty territorial, and since you already have pairs, I would suggest just leaving it as it. :) But, its up to you.
Yeah, aquavisor has some downfalls because it is not good at determining aggression issues and compatability all the time. :) It has fish lumped into certain aggression labels, but leaves out factors like gender and tankmates which heavily determine what potential aggression issues can pop up. :)

I am really sorry, I should have asked you what is all currently living in your tank. :) That as a big oversight on my part. I apologize. :)
Knowing what all is your tank is necessary for knowing what else can go in.

Well by the time I've rehomed things i should have a base community of 4 dwarf gs, a bristlenose pleco and 3 bronze corys. I also have tetras, 2 c.a.e, male betta and bumblebee gobys in there at the min but they're not staying for much longer hence the debate as to what i can fill my tank with lol incase its of any importance i have live java fern and bogwood in the tank with a sand substrate and plenty o rocks/ornaments/caves

dudeofrude said:
Well originally i was looking at angelfish but i don't think a 36g would be big enough for them so now I'm looking at maybe getting two schools of tiger barbs, some regular and some of the emerald ones. There are countless others that i can't think if that I've wanted in the past but couldnt have due to their nippy nature but i figure if i get the betta out of there then i only have fast, short finned fish

Angelfish will definitely fit in there. One could be fine in there with other schoolers.

I do not suggest skirt tetras with gouramis personally. I have seen them be pretty nasty. Some people have had good experiences with them of course, but I wouldn't do it personally.
If you want gouramis, I would actually suggest honey gouramis or pearl gouramis rather than dg. Sometimes sg can be nasty to each other and bossy to other fish. They also have been really overbred so many of the ones available tend to be weak. Plenty of people keep them without an issue, but its not always the case. Just so you know. :)
I agree. My skirt tetras had no interest in bothering my gourami, but my DG would not leave them alone, and I had to move them out of his tank. It seems he can't handle anything shaped at all like a gourami.

I wouldn't want to mix gourami species (including Bettas) in a tank that size either, with the exception of a few very peaceful, small and lazy species.

I know everybody said the gouramis and betta are not good together but they are living proof that totally depends on the individual fish. They co exist in there beautifully and have never so much as chased, let alone hassled one another

I know everybody said the gouramis and betta are not good together but they are living proof that totally depends on the individual fish. They co exist in there beautifully and have never so much as chased, let alone hassled one another

Just because it works doesn't mean that it's advisable, it's just not generally a good combination and often ends up in disaster for people.

I don't think that BB gobies are a good fit for the tank, but they will probably work.

I always thought bumble bee gobies were brackish...(if that's what the bb stood for)

Bettas and gouramis is not exactly a fun time. IME it works, but that doesn't mean I would advise anyone else to do it. Still a bunch of factors to be taken into consideration, and usually people have a lot more unfortunate deaths between their bettas and gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom