Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank stand advice

I saw a deal I couldnít resist as Iíve been wanting to have a fish tank again for some time. Had one for years, then went to college and never had one again.

Today someone listed a complete setup including heaters decorations lights pump etc. for $40. A 72 gallon bow front.

Now comes the problem...I need something able to support the weight. Weíre talking almost 800lbs.

The standard tank stands I see donít look well built enough to be safe. Theyíre also pretty ugly. If the wife doesnít like it, itís not gonna fly.

Is there furniture I could use that would support the weight such as a buffet server? A dresser? A hutch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-28-2020, 01:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Furniture like that isn't designed to support that kind of weight so I wouldn't recommend it..
Do you have any carpentry skills/experience or know someone who does that might help you out?

Old 06-01-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I built a couple of stands using treated 2x4s. There are a number of plans on the web but designing one is easy. I'm not particularly handy and certainly not a carpenter, but this is not a hard job. Or, if you are ok with a tank that's closer to the floor, cement blocks and 2x4s work.

Tags
advice, stand, tan, tank, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com