Tank stand advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinBorecky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I saw a deal I couldn’t resist as I’ve been wanting to have a fish tank again for some time. Had one for years, then went to college and never had one again.

Today someone listed a complete setup including heaters decorations lights pump etc. for $40. A 72 gallon bow front.

Now comes the problem...I need something able to support the weight. We’re talking almost 800lbs.

The standard tank stands I see don’t look well built enough to be safe. They’re also pretty ugly. If the wife doesn’t like it, it’s not gonna fly.

Is there furniture I could use that would support the weight such as a buffet server? A dresser? A hutch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Furniture like that isn't designed to support that kind of weight so I wouldn't recommend it..
Do you have any carpentry skills/experience or know someone who does that might help you out?

I built a couple of stands using treated 2x4s. There are a number of plans on the web but designing one is easy. I'm not particularly handy and certainly not a carpenter, but this is not a hard job. Or, if you are ok with a tank that's closer to the floor, cement blocks and 2x4s work.

Back
Top Bottom