Tank still won't cycle! Add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spaullba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys-

I have a 20g tank with 5 Zebra Danios in it that I am doing a fish-in cycle with, or attempting to.

I have been testing water chem daily with API test strips and the levels have not changed in over a week. I initially put only three in, no change for a week, then added two more, still no change for another close to a week.

I know Zebra Danios have a very small biological footprint, and I am on the lower end of the 3-4 fish per 10g stocking rule (I figure after substrate and plants my true tank space is like 18.5 gallons or so).

Would it be safe to add 3 or 4 White Skirts in here to speed up the cycle? I do not want anymore Danios (I realize I am one short of a true school, but they seem happy).

I am okay with doing water changes every other day or so, I just want this tank to start cycling so I can add some otos and a Ram or two in a couple of months.
Thanks.

Fish-in cycles take a *long* time. Don't add more fish until it's done.

When you use up your strips, get the API master test kit. Much more accurate and economical.

spa...

How often are you feeding the fish? When you cycle a tank with fish, you have to feed them a little every day or two to maintain a source of ammonia. Add some floating plants like Water lettuce, Hornwort or Anacharis. These will help steady the tank water between water changes.

5 small fish doesn't generate much waste material. But, be patient and test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you get a positive test, remove 5 gallons and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Just continue to test daily and change the water when needed. This process can take several weeks.

B

I have been feeding them twice per day with smallish feedings.

I went out and bought the API master test kit as I didn't trust the strips. It is giving me an ammonia reading og 0.25 where as the strips said 0, so this is good.

I will continue to use the test kit and do a partial change once it gets to 0.5ppm.

Thanks!

Fish-in cycles take a *long* time. Don't add more fish until it's done.

When you use up your strips, get the API master test kit. Much more accurate and economical.
I did the same mistake...
9 weeks it took to finally balance out! But now it's a happy tank that has spot on chemistry.

This is why I don't like fish in cycling ;) With the ammonia reading you're getting it sounds like you're on track. Fishkeeping is a hobby that rewards patience and diligence so keep it up (y)

I have been feeding them twice per day with smallish feedings.

I went out and bought the API master test kit as I didn't trust the strips. It is giving me an ammonia reading og 0.25 where as the strips said 0, so this is good.

I will continue to use the test kit and do a partial change once it gets to 0.5ppm.

Thanks!

Same experience - test strips here under-read compared to master test kit.

Took mine around 2 months using the fish in cycle, and it wasn't a good experience. I knew more about fish keeping before I got a thank I would have got fishless.
But now your doing it, keep on with water changed around 50% daily if poss if not every other.

And get API master test kit, loads more accurate

I'm so glad to hear that no one is attacking you for fish in cycling. You seem to be doing it responsibly and like you know what you're doing. I've been relentlessly and aggressively attacked for my decisions to do fish in cycles.

Fish in cycles do take time. My current 29gallon tank took 2-3 months because I waited so long to add more fish, kind of an extra precaution or whatever. It wasn't a bad experience, and it worked for me. Fishless is obviously better but If done right, under the right circumstances, it's not a big deal. Good to hear you got the master test kit and now know what you're dealing with. Like others have said, and as I'm sure you know, wait until at least your ammonia is down to zero, and preferably nitrites as well, to add more fish. (Readings should read zero before you perform your next water change, not after obviously.) haha don't mean to patronize/condescend, apologies if so. Good luck.
P.s. Pictures are always cool [emoji851]

I'm so glad to hear that no one is attacking you for fish in cycling. You seem to be doing it responsibly and like you know what you're doing. I've been relentlessly and aggressively attacked for my decisions to do fish in cycles.

Fish in cycles do take time. My current 29gallon tank took 2-3 months because I waited so long to add more fish, kind of an extra precaution or whatever. It wasn't a bad experience, and it worked for me. Fishless is obviously better but If done right, under the right circumstances, it's not a big deal. Good to hear you got the master test kit and now know what you're dealing with. Like others have said, and as I'm sure you know, wait until at least your ammonia is down to zero, and preferably nitrites as well, to add more fish. (Readings should read zero before you perform your next water change, not after obviously.) haha don't mean to patronize/condescend, apologies if so. Good luck.
P.s. Pictures are always cool [emoji851]

I think the problem with fish in cycling comes from the fact that many who do it don't actually know what they're doing or do it wrong- like for example, when I started, people suggesting to me to just dump a bunch of feeder goldfish into my tank and ignore them for a month to start it up. A lot of fish in cycling threads end up sounding something like that. But done correctly it's fine. Not my prefered method, but that's because I'm lazy and I'd rather just dump ammonia and mostly forget about it, not because I think it's bad (y)

(edited to add: OP you are in the category of "doing it correctly", just to be clear (y) )

When doing a fish-in cycle, you're creating a very small BB population as you ammonia and nitrite levels are never allowed to climb very high. This means, when those levels finally reach 0 again, you can only add a small number of fish to the system (I'd recommend 1/2 of what you already have).
A fishless cycle has the benefit of a huge ammonia and nitrite level, creating a very strong BB population. Once those levels get to zero (and a water change to reduce nitrates), you can throw in a lot of fish as the BB can handle it

I think the problem with fish in cycling comes from the fact that many who do it don't actually know what they're doing or do it wrong- like for example, when I started, people suggesting to me to just dump a bunch of feeder goldfish into my tank and ignore them for a month to start it up. A lot of fish in cycling threads end up sounding something like that. But done correctly it's fine. Not my prefered method, but that's because I'm lazy and I'd rather just dump ammonia and mostly forget about it, not because I think it's bad (y)

(edited to add: OP you are in the category of "doing it correctly", just to be clear (y) )

I've never received bad advice like that from forums or research but a family friend told me to dump a bunch of danios in and then sell them when the cycle was complete [emoji19]. Obviously I did no such thing. I personally don't mind the long process of fish in cycleing. Gives me time to really carefully plan things out, as I go. I enjoy the ride, not the destination. Obviously not ideal for every situation, and fishless would indeed be a better choice 100% of the time. Fish in can be tricky while trying to maintain a happy school or shoal of fish that do better off with 6+ fish....even like pygmy corys, can't exactly dump 6 in at a time. And people get really P.O.'d even when done correctly and responsibly. I've never even lost a snail during a cycle. I've even been so lucky as to never deal with sick fish.... seriously, never during my 3 years in the hobby. (Knock on wood)

Thanks again for the help guys.

Update-

Over the last handful of days, the tank has been cycling. Ammonia levels have risen to 0.5ppm multiple times and I have been doing 10-20% water changes just about every day.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom