Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Tank stocking opinions please?

29 gallon tank with:
4 male Platies
9 Cherry Barbs
8 Amano Shrimp
2 Nerita snails

Don't have a centerpiece fish because I don't have enough filter power. But eventually I could include another filter to the tank, and then get a centerpiece fish. Don't know what I'd get though. Definitely not Dwarf Gouramis as they bully shrimp to death. Or maybe I won't get any centerpiece at all. Maybe I'll just add more of what I have. Either way, opinions please?

AqAdvisor link

Aneamals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
The barbs put a large limit on what fish you can have, especially for a possible future centerpiece. They will bite fins, of almost all fish.

Of course, if it weren't for the barbs (and if the water has no salt at all) you could have a discus as a centerpiece.

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Cherry barbs normally don't nip and a 29is to small for discus

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istrom View Post
The barbs put a large limit on what fish you can have, especially for a possible future centerpiece. They will bite fins, of almost all fish.

Of course, if it weren't for the barbs (and if the water has no salt at all) you could have a discus as a centerpiece.
Oh, but Cherry Barbs, specifically, aren't supposed to be fin nippers according to many sources online. I am aware of most Barbs being fin nippers though. But Cherries shouldn't be for the most part.

Discus are really beautiful, but I don't think I'd get any though, as I'm still a beginner, and they're supposed to be a more advanced fish. But maybe in the future when I get more experience!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hm, now I'm thinking of changing the Cherry Barbs for Glowlight Tetras because they have less of a bioload according to AqAdvisor, thus I could have more for less filter power. But I don't know, I could still just get a second filter and stick with the Cherry Barbs. I really like both fish. Don't know what to do...

Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nah, I've decided to stick with Cherry Barbs. My water is too hard for the Glowlights.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cherry barbs are by far the most peaceful barbs that you'd see. They also don't need to be in as large a group. You could have like a group of 6 or 7 and thatd be plenty, and that would lower your bio load. Do you have any ideas for a bottom dweller?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin.dehney View Post
Cherry barbs are by far the most peaceful barbs that you'd see. They also don't need to be in as large a group. You could have like a group of 6 or 7 and thatd be plenty, and that would lower your bio load. Do you have any ideas for a bottom dweller?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I was going to buy 8 Amano shrimp and 2 Nerite snails, but I've decided on just 9 Amano shrimp. Keep it simple. c: So now my plan is 9 Cherry Barbs, 4 Platies, and 9 Amanos.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I mightttt move up to 10 Cherries, 10 Amanos and 5 Platies, but I don't know if it's a wise choice for a beginner. It'll tighten my stocking to 86% according to aqadvisor, and I'll have to change 23% of the water weekly. I will definitely need a second filter for this too, but I plan to get one anyway. XD

Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

aqadvisor is an amazing source... but I know of many people who stock their tank to 110-120 precent with no real issues. Of course you do need the filtration to support that as well.

And Amanoes rock!! they are awesomely fun to watch

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodroot View Post
aqadvisor is an amazing source... but I know of many people who stock their tank to 110-120 precent with no real issues. Of course you do need the filtration to support that as well.

Ok, thanks! That makes me feel better about adding 1 more of each.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodroot View Post

+1, I'm at about 125% on aqadvisor and haven't had any issues, although I do keep up with frequent water changes! Shrimp are some of my favorite things to watch, i have Amanno in my 20g, they're really neat!

Fish are fun!! 🐡🐠🐟
Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Fish are fun!! 🐡🐠🐟
Those little fish emoticons are soooo cute. I had only ever seen the middle one. THANK YOU for showing me those other 2. Time to paste them everywhere~

Tags
29 gallon, 29 gallons, advice, amano shrimp, amano shrimps, aquarium, cherry barb, cherry barbs, combination, combo, community, compatibility, compatible, fish, freshwater, in same, nerita, nerite, opinions, platies, platy, snail, snails, stock, stocking, tank, work

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com