Tank support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over in this thread...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/re-starting-my-aquarium-open-to-any-suggestions-110032.html
...the OP shows a picture of a tank that looks like it's only supported in the middle. It reminds me how I've got a 10 gallon that is only supported on the ends (front end and back end, but nothing is supporting it in the middle from front to back).

I was wondering if these glass tanks are strong enough these type of support situations, or should the entire base (at least at the edges) be fully supported?

Yes edges should have support. Not just the ends or middle. Anything else puts a lot of stress on the glass.

Placing the tank on a level, even surface is the only safe way to go. When I made my stand I used some type of cork-like tape(corkboard on one side, tape on the other). I secured the cork/foam to the top of the stand where the tank would rest on it. This ensures that the weight of the tank is spread evenly over the surface of the stand.

I wouldn't risk it with a shoddy stand, its a lot of work cleaning gravel out of your carpet! :)

my bad... haha, its located in the Getting Started section, so just look for that heading.

FWIW, I have a 100 gallon tank that is 60" long, 24" high and 16" deep.

The builder advises that the tank be placed on a flat surface and that a couple of strips of wood, 1/8" thick, maybe 2 inches wide and maybe 17-18 inches long be placed under each end and not the front and back.

So the tank is essentially supported at each end. The flat sides keep it from bowing downward.
The bottom panel is 1/2" thick and supports a weight of a little less than one pound per square inch or about 125 lb/sq.ft.

Again, this is what the manufacturer advises.

Back
Top Bottom