Tank switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So if good bacteria lives on the rocks,,gravel and other decor. If i was to take one of the filters, a bunch of gravel, and some of my rock ledge from my tank and put it into my new tank. Also take 40% of the water from my one tank. Would the tank be cycled or no? It might be a stupid question but it kinda seems like t would work. Also I'm only gonna put 4 gold barbs in off the start if it does seem like it will work.
Anyways what do you guys think of the idea? I'm sure someone has tries it.

Hobgob said:
So if good bacteria lives on the rocks,,gravel and other decor. If i was to take one of the filters, a bunch of gravel, and some of my rock ledge from my tank and put it into my new tank. Also take 40% of the water from my one tank. Would the tank be cycled or no? It might be a stupid question but it kinda seems like t would work. Also I'm only gonna put 4 gold barbs in off the start if it does seem like it will work.
Anyways what do you guys think of the idea? I'm sure someone has tries it.

Ya, that's the best way to do it, but, me being the OCD over-cautious person i am... i'd cycle it just to be safe. You could probably get away with it though. Also, how big is the upgrade?

Well not that big I'm going from a 29g which was 30x12x18. And I got a 35g which is 36x19x12. and I'm going to be getting a 110g with stand soon to

Hobgob said:
Well not that big I'm going from a 29g which was 30x12x18. And I got a 35g which is 36x19x12. and I'm going to be getting a 110g with stand soon to

Then you'll definitely be ok

Yep, that's exactly how I start up my QT, more or less. A fully cycled filter, 50% tank water and 50% cured water is just like doing a 50% water change. The decco and gravel will only add to the bacteria count. I've put fish in minutes after using this method with no ill effects what so ever, but a 24hr period to let the tank settle in (as it were) won't hurt.

Just keep in mind that, the tank losing the filter (decco/gravel) could experience a bloom/mini cycle unless it's over filtrated.

Haha yup I got an aquatech 20-40, an aquaclear 30, and a corner filter. I was gonna throw in the aquaclear.

But either way it sounds like a plan only thing is I got to get ready for work... This sucks,

So far ammo and nitrites have stayed at zero having really been tracking the nitrates though...

Nope I put 4 gold barbs in for a day then the other three. Now I was just waiting to see how the levels played out. Nitrate is at 5 ppm it was probably around 2 when I set it up. The other tank was at 20 and I took about 45% of the water from it and it was around 5 ppm after. It filled the other tank up around 25% of the way

Back
Top Bottom