Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile Tank Upgrade, Cycling Questions

I've had a 10gal for close to 7 years now and decided to upgrade to a 20gal. I have no fish to worry about, just some plants and my 6 year old nerite snail. He has survived a lot but I don't want this tank change to be what kills him.
My current plan to begin cycling the new tank is to add about 5 gallons of the old tank water to it, as well as move my current heater, filter, and tank ornament in so the bacteria on the surfaces and in the filter will hopefully give it a jump start.
I'm nervous about putting my snail in too soon after starting the cycle, I plan on waiting about two weeks if I can, just to play it safe. Does that seem like an appropriate amount of time?
It's obviously been a while since I've cycled a tank, is there anything I'm missing or doing incorrectly? Would it be a good idea to add my plants too or should I hold off til it's cycled?
Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are going about cycling your new tank in the correct way. If you are transfering the existing filter though with its media, your snail should be fine to move over. If you dont move the snail your old tank will be unfiltered? To be honest, Ive kept nerite snails in an unfiltered 5 litre tank for weeks with no filter or heater, just daily water changes.

A few questions.

- Are you planning a fishless cycle? If so it might not be a good idea to move the snail till its done.
- Is your heater and filter suitably sized for the new tank? Or are you going to run the old equipment alongside some new equipment?
- What are you planning on putting into the 20g tank?
- How long has your old tank been with just the nerite snail? If this is a significant time then there might not be much beneficial bacteria to transfer over.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I was planning a fishless cycle but if just transferring the filter should be enough I'll probably just do that. The heater and filter are both sized for my new tank so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm only planning on having the snail and some plants in the 20g for the time being and possibly add fish in a few months.
My old tank has been snail only for years, you're right there probably isn't much bacteria besides what's there from dead plants and cucumber.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangwia View Post
I've had a 10gal for close to 7 years now and decided to upgrade to a 20gal. I have no fish to worry about, just some plants and my 6 year old nerite snail. He has survived a lot but I don't want this tank change to be what kills him.
My current plan to begin cycling the new tank is to add about 5 gallons of the old tank water to it, as well as move my current heater, filter, and tank ornament in so the bacteria on the surfaces and in the filter will hopefully give it a jump start.
I'm nervous about putting my snail in too soon after starting the cycle, I plan on waiting about two weeks if I can, just to play it safe. Does that seem like an appropriate amount of time?
It's obviously been a while since I've cycled a tank, is there anything I'm missing or doing incorrectly? Would it be a good idea to add my plants too or should I hold off til it's cycled?
Thank you in advance for any advice!!!
You should also take some gravel from the old tank and put it in the filter of the new tank. And if possible a piece of old sponge to add to the new filter.

Tags
cycling, question, questions, tan, tank, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com