Tankmate for female betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend has a female betta in a 5-gallon tank. The betta spent the entire first day in the tank attacking her own image in the glass, and it was necessary to put paper on the sides.

Now she wants a companion for the betta, but she doesn't like catfish or snails. Is there any tankmate that would be safe in this situation? Probably she would attack another female betta if she is attacking her reflection, right? Is there any fish that would be safe to try in there wtih her?

Thanks in advance.

A 5g tank is a little small for much, but I would suggest other female betta's.

Female Betta's are not aggressive like their male counterpart, but you should have at the very least 3 females. (In order to establish a pecking order) If there are only two females, one will definatley become the dominant, but will alway's attack the other. This will stress the weaker of the two, and eventually lead to disease and death. Three will allow a pecking order and the dominant female won't spend all her time picking on one.

Have you friend go to Walmart, for $30, she can pick up a 10 gallon tank, and she can use the media from the 5 gallon.

The fact that the female spent the entire day attacking her own image could mean she has a male Betta. But not neccessarily so. It could be an overly aggressive female. Have her look for an ovipositor tube. You can learn more about it Here. If she doesn't see one, it could be a male posing as a female!

I've never had one but I've heard of quite a few people keeping an african dwarf frog in a tank that size with a beta. Maybe someone who's had one can give you some info.

Back
Top Bottom