Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickb92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have a 26 gal bow front tank and I have one rainbow shark two spotted Cory cats and one peppered Cory. I was wondering what would be good tank mates for them? I was thinking maybe like a pictus catfish but I'm not sure how it would do with the shark and cory cats

Welcome!

Large catfish and sharks really don't belong in anything less than a 4 foot tank. It's hard to give you stocking advice with these fish in the tank. If you were to return them then it would open up your options considerably.

I found out about the shark being to big after I had gotten him so I figured when he got bigger I would give him to a pet store or upgrade the tank. Is there any fish at all that would work with what I have now?

Well rainbows can be somewhat agressive at times. So i think some Balloon Mollys would go nicely and guppys something small and colourful. Also some dwarf gouramis are also a very good fish to have in the tank. And maybe some more Peppered to just get that number up to 4.

IMO, if you'd give up the fish when it's bigger you might as well give it up now. A fish tank needs to be balanced, and it's not with the shark in it. There aren't any fish that I can think of that would appreciate being stuck in cramped quarters with a territorial fish.

Would you want to be stuck in a room with someone who's mad about not having enough space, AND on top of that has to SHARE that space with you?

Hes acutely only territorial over his cave other than that the cory cats have free reign over the rest of the tank

Fish tend to get more aggressive and more territorial as they grow...... I'm just saying that the fact that it's in a 26 gallon tank means it's still small, and the tank dynamics are sure to change as the fish grows and matures. It's only going to get worse.

I know but I should be upgrading before it gets to big giving him to a pet shop is if it's not possible for me to upgrade.

A pictus will get too big for a 26g. I had one in a 29g and he was cramped. He likes his new home in the 40B much better. I don't think a pictus would get along with your shark either.

It looks like the bottom of your tank is pretty full. Look at tetras or rasboras to add some life to the upper levels of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom